How to extrude and surface 3D sketch?

TigWelder

Hi everyone,

long time lurker, 1st time poster here. I'm trying to extrude a 3D sketch and also make it a surface so it will be a curved Cap for a Tank. Whenever I try to extrude the 3D sketch it asks for direction to be specified and when I try a direction it gives me geometry errors, so it doesn't work. I also tried the Insert/Surface/Fill feature and it doesn't fill the surface flat (like I need it to do).

Does anyone know how to do this? I feel like it's a simple step or procedure I'm missing... :unsure:

3D Sketch of the end cap

3DCapDrawing.jpg

Tank that needs the above-outlined 3D cap to seal it

3DTankopen.jpg

I also tried the Insert/Surface/Fill feature and it doesn't fill the surface flat (like I need it to do).

Can you attach the file here? Looks like you should be able to do a boundary fill and Thicken to get your cap.

Hey Tig. Well the short answer is you cant extrude a 3d sketch. It needs to be 2d. Now there are a few ways you can make that shape though. Using your 3d sketch you can do a Filled Surface then Thicken it. You will need some guides or you can use a combination of Boundary surfaces. Knit them together then thicken.

You can extrude the profile of that in 2d, do a full round fillet.

The first two pics show the 2d profile extruded, then a full round fillet added.

The next 6 or so show the surface method(one of many) using a 3d sketch. If you go this route when using boundary surface, right click and use the Selection Manager to pick parts of your 3d sketch. I show you the order in which i filled in. Each "panel" is a new boundary surface. I could have done the first 3 together but for this purpose i felt it was easier to show you every piece by itself.

SWsketch.jpg

SWsketch2.jpg

SWsketch3.jpg

SWsketch4.jpg

SWsketch5.jpg

SWsketch6.jpg

SWsketch7.jpg

SWsketch8.jpg

Matt - does it look like to you that he did a Delete Face on one of the faces?

TigWelder do you have a folder at the top of the browser named Surface Bodies?

Matt - does it look like to you that he did a Delete Face on one of the faces?

TigWelder do you have a folder at the top of the browser named Surface Bodies?

either that or he is building the whole thing with surfaces.

I tried to attach the part file, but this forum wouldn't allow that solidworks part file name extension. I changed the transparency of the plenum just to make it easier for me to visualize design changes, hence the "missing wall."

Thank you for all your help, I will try the suggested method (& report results), and yes it is an intake manifold shift1313 :).

i just finished an intake for my turbo bike that has a similar shape. im not happy with the welds but it was done in less than ideal conditions:) To upload your files here just create a zip file. It will let you attach that.

P5020009.jpg

this is what i started with.

TurboManifoldFlat.jpg

TurboManifold.jpg

• 1 year later...
hi chetan here i hv same problem in extrusion in 3d sketch

same problem with directions

Zip and attach the file here (roll op the feature tree first).

• 8 months later...

I was making a crown similar to Burger King's crown and got stuck midway. I do not have much experience with 3D sketches, please help!

PS- please see attached jpegPart2.jpg