How to Freeze paper space dimension layer in model space

david1954

I am trying to learn dimensioning in paper space of 3d model.

I draw 3d model in model space and switch to Layout , Draw 3 Viewport with Front view, top view and Iso view of the model.

I start dimensioning on front view and freeze the layer on top view and iso viewport , so that it don't clutter the views. so far so good.

But when I switch back to Model , I saw all the dimensions of front view here. and when I tried to freeze the layer there than dimension disapper in Front view also.

How to get around with it. Is there anything I am doing wrong.

All I want to do is , do the dimensioning in paper space and I don't want these dimensions to show up in Model.

Thanks for your help.

You did something wrong if your so-called paper space dimensions are showing up in model space.

I do all my dimensioning in paper space and none of it shows up in model space.

For dimensioning I switch to Layout Tab. Drew Title Block. Scale 1:1, Made three view port. for Front view, top view and iso view, I entered in the Front view port. Scaled View port. and start dimensioning. I saw these dimensions showing up on Top view port and iso view port , so I entered in these view ports and freeze the dimension layer. work out good.

When I switch back to Model , I saw all these dim.

From above steps , can you find out what I am doing wrong.

Or can you specify the sequance you follow.

Thanks.

Yes I can. You "entered" each viewport which I take it to mean you were working in model space. Thus the reason for seeing the dimensions when you switched back to model space. You did it wrong. There is no reason to enter model space. Just make sure your dimensions are associative and use Osnaps to accurately pick the geometry you are dimensioning. Also, create a dedicated layer for your dimensions.

I assume you have locked the display of each of your viewports too, right?

Yes. I did locked the display of my each view port.

So if I understand correctly, I make viewport, enter viewport, scale it and lock it.

Then get out of view port and do the dimension.

Great. Thank you for your help.

I have another question also. When I make 2d drawing from 3d model, by using solprof command. those views also shows up on the model.

and in this case I have to enter in viewport to run the Solprof command.

In the dimension case , now i understand that I don't have to entered in veiw port. but to make front or top view with Solprof command , I have to enter in viewport.

and these front and top views show us in Model space and clutter it.

How can I fix that.

Thank you

That's the way AutoDesk designed it to work. What can I say? You should see what happens when you use SolView and SolDraw!

Needless to say but if you are using model space and layouts as you should there should be little concern about how cluttered model space becomes with the geometry AutoCAD creates when you use SolProf.

If you really hate it that much take your 2D Solprof images and put them in a new drawing.