Solids, taper with square base up to round top

fedora

I'm working on this shape:

it has square base, goes to the top round , and round top is shiffted off center. Please help

Thank you,

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• PeterParker

• pqphillips

• fedora

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 years later...

Hey, Im looking to do something similar but need the top to be domed instead of flat. The rectangle base is 0.300 x 0.560 and a height of 0.225 with a dome top centered. Thanks!

Whats stopping me? Ummm... Maybe the fact that Ive tried and it didnt come out right??? Why would I be wasting my time on here if I already knew how to do it?

Are you saying I need to create an arc and then simply sweep it? How do I sweep it so the bottom is the shape of a rectangle?

An arc will result in a surface. Is that what you want?

Yes, an arc can be swept around a rectangle. You may not like the result though.

No, your right I dont want a surface, I want a solid. I want pretty much the same exact thing you showed an example of previously, except I need the top to be domed or spherical. The flat circle wont work for this application.

Maybe I should try adding a sphere to a cone shape with a rectangular base?

You right that does look odd, prob wont work.... I tried making a sphere, cutting off the bottom and manipulating it a little. This is as close as I can get to what I want.....

Untitled.jpg

I like your attempt better. Could maybe do it using the LOFT command and a series of increasingly smaller profiles perhaps?

Alright, well I'll keep up with trial and error till I find something that works for us. Thanks for your help though!

I'd try a loft, then draw a profile with an arc with an endpoint that is tangent to the top of the lofted shape and the other endpoint perpendicular to the centerline of the lofted shape, and then revolve the profile around the centerline.

I'll try to see what I can come up with this evening and get back to you.

Hey, Im looking to do something similar but need the top to be domed instead of flat. The rectangle base is 0.300 x 0.560 and a height of 0.225 with a dome top centered. Thanks!

So in order to do this, I need a little more info.

You're saying that these are the dimensions:

Base: Rectangle 0.560 x 0.300

Height: 0.225

What is the diameter of the circle/sphere at the top?