Any Electronics Drafters Here?

muddbutter

I have been looking into the electronics drafting field for a while now (currently drafting for land surveyor) and I have found some helpful info searching online, but it would be nice to hear what the job is like from a person.

Thank ya!

What kind of electronics are you talking about? What industry?

I am an electrical designer for a company in the offshore industry and we make tools for ROV's.

Ryder, that's a good question. I'm undecided right now. I will be moving to Dallas area soon and there is so much industry there. I guess what I had in mind was electronic schematics and such.

Well...

I have drafted in several disciplines - Mechanical, Civil, Piping/Process, and Electrical. My favorite is electrical and I like wiring or schematic diagrams although loop diagrams are fun as well. As with any type of drafting if you don't have an understanding of what it is you are drafting it will only be lines, arcs and text to you, but if you have an understanding then it becomes so much more and you are more valuable to the employer.

Dallas certainly has enough different kinds of companies that you should have a good pick of drafting variety - even within the electrical discipline.

Electronics/electrical can be anything from lighting to pc boards to control panels to subsea tooling to commercial building/construction just depends on the company. In the end electrical is all about flow, on/off, yes/no.

You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

See, you hit the nail on the head! You say, "if you don't have an understanding of what it is you are drafting it will only be lines, arcs and text to you." That is exactly where I'm at right now. I don't know jack about land surveying...and in this field it isnt really drafting anyway, just boundary lines and such. Maybe a footprint of a house or something. I have always liked electrical/electronics and feel like I would have fun at it. I hate doing all this legal crap like researching deeds.

Thanks a lot man, your input is much appreciated!

Hi,

I am now an electrical designer, but was previously in high tech. I can tell you that very few companies in the high tech sector use AutoCAD for electronics work. There are specific tools for electronics schematics and printed circuit board design.

The process of creating a printed circuit board layout often is a very skilled task requiring knowledge of circuit theory. Unless you have this, and assuming you are skilled with AutoCAD then I think your best bet if you want to work in the electrical field is with a utility, engineering, service, or product company not focused on electronics.

just my 2c, good luck!

Hi,

I am now an electrical designer, but was previously in high tech. I can tell you that very few companies in the high tech sector use AutoCAD for electronics work. There are specific tools for electronics schematics and printed circuit board design.

The process of creating a printed circuit board layout often is a very skilled task requiring knowledge of circuit theory. Unless you have this, and assuming you are skilled with AutoCAD then I think your best bet if you want to work in the electrical field is with a utility, engineering, service, or product company not focused on electronics.

just my 2c, good luck!

I agree - electrical drafting/design is different than electronic ie printed circuit boards. We do both here, but the pcb design is done with a different software - not ACAD. It is a 3D modeling and circuit routing software; however, there is plenty of straight electrical work and it is all done in ACAD. We use Solid Works for all the mechanical stuff.

Just repeating/agreeing that Electrical and Electronics are two similar yet different things. :)

Hi,

just my 2c, good luck!

I know nothing about circuit theory, but I am fairly knowledgeable with electricity. Maybe the electrical field would be better...

What kind of electricity? Low - Medium voltage or High voltage? Home/commercial building/construction? Depending on your experience type and level would depend on where you would be the most marketable in the electrical drafting/design field. Like I said - Dallas should be able to afford many opportunities.

I believe STYKFACE is from Dallas, but I can't remember what kind of work he does. Good luck in your new career path - it's worth it to make a change if you can. Finding the right discipline isn't always easy.