ACADE or Promis.E? High Voltage Substation Design

illini1022

Thanks in advance for your help. We are currently designing substations in regular AutoCAD. The electrical design of a substation includes One Line, Three Lines, DC control schematics, wiring diagrams, panel layouts, etc. There can be hundreds of drawings for one project.

We're exploring our options for an electrical CAD package that can reduce engineering hours. In particular, we would like to work towards automating BOM generation, standardizing/automating templates, and reducing error checking and repetitive design changes. Having one change electrically filter through an entire set of drawings would be a huge help. The ability to handle complex, utility class relays is also very important. (i.e. organizing and keeping track of pin assignments, used inputs, outputs, etc)

I've had introductory exposure to both pieces of software but we need to make a decision to go with one package or the other. Promis.E seems more database driven, and potentially more geared towards the power industry. ACADE might be less buggy.

Any thoughts/experience are extremely appreciated, whether they coming from experience inside or outside of the power industry.

Thanks!!

I could see where ACADE might benefit you but don't take just my word for it as I'm a new user. From your list of "must haves" I don't see anything it couldn't handle. Actually, for our needs, I feel it is way too complex but it's what the big boys wanted to buy. We got 2011. I'd suggest that if you go with ACADE sign up for the Subscription. It will give you access to a fair number of online tutorials that a user can work their way through at their leisure.

illini1022, I have use ECAD and I can tell you for my own experience, ECAD work verry well for automated BOM, standarizing/outomated templaptes, reports and also Ref checking for relays and cross reference. The only issue here is the learning curve which it could be difficult to set up (settings project manager/learn how to manipulate ECAD). Also want to point out that I don't know anything about promise E.

Good luck on your decision.