How to hide parts?

Mason Dixon

My problem is that when I get everything looking right in my viewport I use HIDE and have the look I want but when I zoom out or try to save it goes back to unhidden view. How can I get it to stay in HIDE mode?

34t5umv.gif

The way I need it to stay below:

4ihulv.gif

I think I would turn off dispsilh and look at some other options.

Also, is your part uniform thickness in the bends? Can't really tell from the picture but doesn't look quite right.

And is that a surface model or a solid model?

I am able to get it to work by zooming extents my layout and individually HIDE'ing each viewport and then plotting to pdf. I was just surprised when I made my 3d piece, used HIDE to get it how I liked and then the backside of the piece returned after I zoomed out.

Know of any command where you can type something like HIDE ALL VIEWPORTS?

My next question is about the bends. I started off drawing my lines, filleting them 1/8" inch in the corners, polyline edit the lines to one line, offset by 1/8". By when I offset, the inner corner would not offset, it was a 90 degree angle instead of the nice fillet. So I had to fillet with a different measurement. Is that how you would of done that?

I'm guessing its a surface model since I drew the piece in 2d and then extruded it 1 inch. Is that the best way for something like this?

If you drew the part in 2d and extrude it then it would be a solid body.

The problem with the fillet is using 1/8 for both the internal and extermal bend. In reality you should use 1/8 for the internal bend and 1/4 for the external bend.

This way when you perform your offset the internal 1/8 R offsets Up 1/8 inch resulting in a 1/4 R. The external 1/4 R. offsets Down to 1/8 R.

Regarding the HIDE command, that's the way it works. Any change to your view via zoom, pan, whatever will redraw the screen and you lose the hide. Why not try a visual style, such as conceptual?

BTW JD's mentioning of the dispsilh will get reid of those goofy lines at the bends. I don't follow ADesks reasoning behind defaulting to showing them.

If you drew the part in 2d and extrude it then it would be a solid body.

Not necessarily. Not at all.

I don't follow ADesks reasoning behind defaulting to showing them.

You have to remember that AutoCAD goes back a long long long time (in computer software terms). Most everything ever put into AutoCAD at the time in history where it represented the state of the technology is still there.

Modern CAD programs avoid all of this legacy garbage.

I probably would have modeled as single profile polyline, extrude as surface and then thicken the surface.

Yeah JD, after I submitted that and looked again at the first image it occured to me that it was a likely surface of some type. I don't use surfaces at all so I went with what I'm familiar with.