How to create a RIB and Flat Pattern

CAnnondale

Hi Guys,

Its me again asking for assistance. I have this sort of a PIPE object, this is a blanket for a 10" Pipe which has a thickness of 60mm. The company I am working with is engage on a Passive Fire Protection and this is one of the fire protection. We do protect Pipelines for the Oil & Gas industries.

Now, I do want to apply a RIP and Flat Pattern but, I am getting this error message. What went wrong? and how do I solve this so that, I can apply a RIP and do a flat pattern of the objects.

Once again thank you in advance for the continuous support/assistance given.

BTW, this part was created from an .ipt and I use a "Make Component" feature to create an individual objects.

Bend 10inch Pipe.jpg

I'm getting similar errors, but modelling part using contour roll seems to work, allowing flat pattern.

I'm getting similar errors, but modelling part using contour roll seems to work, allowing flat pattern.

This part is only one of the multi bodies created from an standard.ipt. So, doing it from sheet metal will cause me some time to re-create it again.

I thought converting it to "Sheet Metal" will allow me to create a flat pattern...:(

Well at a first glance id say its giving you the error because it cant be flattened. That part would need to be formed and rolled into place. I would have to play with it but i would start a new sheet metal part and do a sweep and see if it will let you flatten it that way. If you know the ID, thickness and sweep angle its just a matter of two sketches. Shouldnt be too bad.

Contoured roll will give you a flat pattern - but in my opinion it will not be correct for this part. (Flat pattern will be rectangular.)

Matt - actually, I know what is the ID, thickness, etc... The problem now is that there are roughly 24 parts. Does this mean I have to draw them 1 by 1 in-order to get the flatten view.

JD - I have posted on another thread regarding the query on how to get the .ipt with multiple solid bodies into individual solid parts. This is the 2nd process in the drawing that needs to be done. Showing the flat pattern of each segments. I have attched the image again.

GA Drawing of Pipe Line.jpg

Contoured roll will give you a flat pattern - but in my opinion it will not be correct for this part. (Flat pattern will be rectangular.)

JD, doesn't creating the contoured roll give the correct rectangular flat pattern?

Regards, David.

JD is right, I tried the Contour Roll with the elbow and after applying the Flat Pattern it does give a rectangular shape which is for me is is wrong. I have attached a jpg of a drawing posted from other discussion group and it should give same outcome.

Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Elbow unrolled.jpg

JD is right, I tried the Contour Roll with the elbow and after applying the Flat Pattern it does give a rectangular shape which is for me is is wrong. I have attached a jpg of a drawing posted from other discussion group and it should give same outcome.

Hello. I think why inventor gives the rectangular flat pattern is becasue it creates the cylinder first, then rolls the tube to form the elbow. The rectangular flat to me is correct in a sense if the elbow has a large radius and small pipe diameter and small thickness.

The development you have posted takes into account the arc length on the inner elbow radius of the pipe and the outer radius. I don't think Inventor flat patterns that way. You will get a similar development to the above if you have a small pipe length with ends cut on an angle ...

Hello. I think why inventor gives the rectangular flat pattern is becasue it creates the cylinder first, then rolls the tube to form the elbow. The rectangular flat to me is correct in a sense if the elbow has a large radius and small pipe diameter and small thickness.

The development you have posted takes into account the arc length on the inner elbow radius of the pipe and the outer radius. I don't think Inventor flat patterns that way. You will get a similar development to the above if you have a small pipe length with ends cut on an angle ...

Hi David, oh! ok, I got your point. If that would be the case then, can Inventor give a flat pattern same as what I have attached in the previous post.

I tried contour flange to see if it would let you revolve around an arc instead of an axis but it would not work. Canondale, im still not convinced that you can flatten that part.

I tried contour flange to see if it would let you revolve around an arc instead of an axis but it would not work. Canondale, im still not convinced that you can flatten that part.

Countour roll has to revolve around axis. Contour flange will not work with curves, radii, arcs.

Having said that, I tried modelling using loft surface between two sketches and rail, and thickened part, converted to sheetmetal, but that won't let you flatten either.

:S

Countour roll has to revolve around axis. Contour flange will not work with curves, radii, arcs.

Having said that, I tried modelling using loft surface between two sketches and rail, and thickened part, converted to sheetmetal, but that won't let you flatten either.

:S

typo on my part i meant contour roll:)

Well, I think I've done it before - I'll try to reproduce this one when I get a chance.

Yep, just created again with Contoured Roll and can flatten.

That Fire Protection Blanket in real life mast be flexible and squeezable, some sort of rock wool or foam, if so the rectangular pattern is fine where the length of the rectangle is = to the outer development of the elbow and the with is = to the circumference of the elbow when covered by the blanket.

if the blanket is stiff as tyre rubber, will never follow the elbow smoothly but will produce a faceted joint.

The pattern on the last pic. Will produce a strait cylinder with the 2 ends cut on an angle, once again it will work only if the blanket is flexible and squeezable as rock wool

or foam

After giving it a bit of thought I would probably move the rip, but here is an example. (2011 edu version)

Hi JD. May you be so kind to rezip and attach in 2010 version? Thanks.

Since this is for a blanket (the tolerances should be liberal) you could model as faceted faces (traditional sheet metal gores) that will give you the correct flat pattern. The more faces and the more precise, but I suspect a relatively small number will suffice for the blanket.

Now, let me see if my idea works...

Scratch that - it didn't work. Back to the old 2d method of generating developments....

.... I haven't given up on the gore idea. Can you post a picture of a real world blanket. Seems to me it is going to have to be developed like the sheet metal gores (several pieces) or allow considerable wrinkling or considerable stretch.

...go down to the hardware store and purchase length of foam pipe insulation. Wrap around a bend - there will be wrinkling but with some tape might be good enough...

• 2 weeks later...
Since this is for a blanket (the tolerances should be liberal) you could model as faceted faces (traditional sheet metal gores) that will give you the correct flat pattern. The more faces and the more precise, but I suspect a relatively small number will suffice for the blanket.

Now, let me see if my idea works...

Scratch that - it didn't work. Back to the old 2d method of generating developments....

.... I haven't given up on the gore idea. Can you post a picture of a real world blanket. Seems to me it is going to have to be developed like the sheet metal gores (several pieces) or allow considerable wrinkling or considerable stretch.

...go down to the hardware store and purchase length of foam pipe insulation. Wrap around a bend - there will be wrinkling but with some tape might be good enough...

Hey Guys,

Sorry I was away from the computer for a while, stationed at the work site.

Thank you for the feedbacks shared on this matter...

JD - I have attached an actual blanket photo of the PFP used for piping. The blanket consist of a Fiber Cloth material, Mesh wire High Temp glass particles, etc...

The sample image is what they call a FISH shape is used in the Elbow area of the pipes.

Darmatt.jpg