I lost my parts !!!

drifter15

Hi, I am working on a project for a subject. Yesterday I was working on the drawing and reaching final stage, it was about to complete. It had a lot of parts and each part is in a separate layer.

It was late in the night , I saved my work and closed AutoCAD (2008 ).

11.jpg

Today I came to continue, but I found only two parts. The rest are gone!!

The layers are still there, but they are empty.

That what I found

13.jpg

I tried to reload it more than one time, but useless.

How can I recover my drawing? I don't have a backup drawing, only that one. and it is due tomorrow :cry:

Why did that happen?!! can I get it back?

Thanks alot

I loaded and reloaded the drawing many times, changed the views, the visual style.

I pressed ctrl+A to select all the parts , but only two parts are there, the ones shown in the figure.

I was working with AutoCAD 2008. I opened it with AutoCAD 2010 but the same problem is there.

I searched in the temp folder for any backup , but found nothing!!!

It is the first time I see such a problem!

Do a search of your entire hard drive for the file name and use the wildcard extension. Example:

mydrawing.*

This will find any instances of the dwg and/or bak files that are on your hard drive. You do have AutoCAD create backup files when you save right?

Thanks a lot ReMark.

AutoCAD does create backup files, and I tried searching my hard drive for any related files, unfortunately all of them are recent shortcuts and backups of the new dwg file, the one with missing parts!!

I tried to open the file in another computer with AutoCAD 2007 but again same results!!

It is really strange, could it be from the PC or from the software?!

I have an old copy of the design but it lacks many modifications, it seams that I will repeat all the work on the old copy unless there is a solution!

Move the existing drawing file to a temp folder. Rename the most recent bak file to dwg and use that file to reconstruct your model.

I don't know what caused this to happen but I do know that you need to save on a more frequent basis. What is AutoSave set to?

You should also get yourself a flash drive and save a copy (as insurance) to it too.

It did not work too!!

The size of the backup file was 13,108 kb.

I changed it to name.dwg and opened it, it opened with lost parts, when I saved it again the file size became 1,906 kb.

Thanks for ur replys, you suggested many solutions, thanks alot :)

I'll savce more frequently.

I'm sorry to hear that.

In the past I too lost a couple of very valuable drawings and learned the hard way to save often and to keep multiple copies of my files. I save to my hard drive, place a copy on the network, backup daily to a flash drive and weekly to a DVD. Some people use external hard drives, Iomega zip drives or even tape drives.

One last question. AutoCAD did not crash did it?

There is a bug in AutoCAD since 2007 that causes lost solids. Turn off the variable solidhist in your template. I have been able to recover some lost dwg solids using Inventor. Attach your dwg file here.

One last question. AutoCAD did not crash did it?

No it did not crash.

I had another copy , but it it lacked most of the modifications, so I worked on it and re-did most of the worked. But the time lost can't come back.

There is a bug in AutoCAD since 2007 that causes lost solids. Turn off the variable solidhist in your template. I have been able to recover some lost dwg solids using Inventor. Attach your dwg file here

Thanks JD Mather, did they fix it in 2010?

where can I find " solidhist"

Here is the dwg and the back up file

ت�*ميل الملفwheelchair.rarمن هنا"]ت�*ميل الملف wheelchair.rar من هنا

I hope the link works

Solidhist can be accessed via the command line. There are only two settings. "0" and "1". Further info available in AutoCAD Help file.

Solidhist (brep) will not fix after the fact. It was not fixed in 2010 (they would not even admit to me there was a problem until 2010). I don't know about 2011.

I am on vacation this week, so it might be a while till I have time to look at your file (since you posted an rar rather than a zip).