HELP drawing an R/C wheel in 3D Solid?

Bobzy20

Hi I wonder if anybody can help me with this project I have.

I’m looking to draw this R/C (Radio Controlled) wheel (see photos below) in 3D Solid Modelling (AutoCAD) for a college project and was wondering where I would start? I’m fairly new to 3D Solid Modelling so don’t really know the best way to do it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Bobzy20

Draw a half-profile of the rim (closed polyline) and revolve it around a fixed point. Then go punch some holes in it.

Note: It can be done using the Sweep command too but you just have to be careful with the circle diameter. Use the wrong size and you'll end up with totally different results.

Keep in mind this is a rough mock-up derived from your photos. No actually dimensions were used in its creation and a few finishing touches still need to be added.:lol:

RC_Wheel.jpg

Hi thanks for that, can you post the profile line before you revolved it so I can see how it looked?

Thanks

Bobzy20

My mock up of the profile. The circle was used for the Sweep command.

RC_Wheel_Profile.jpg

Got to hit the road now. Good luck.

Hi I managed to do a rough version of the wheel last night but I thought I would do a slightly better one today however, now I stuck on something!

I’ve created the profile and sweep circle (see image below). The profile has been pedited and is a closed polyline but when I try to sweep the profile around the circle it says:

Unable to sweep 1 selected objects.

The command sequence is below:

Command: sweep

Current wire frame density: ISOLINES=4, Closed profiles creation mode = Solid

Select objects to sweep or [MOde]: 1 found

Select objects to sweep or [MOde]:

Select sweep path or [Alignment/Base point/Scale/Twist]:

Unable to sweep 1 selected objects.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks

Bobzy20

Hi ReMark, see attached .dwg file, it would be interesting to know why the Sweep command didn’t work.

Thanks

Bobzy20

I think I found the problem.

The circle's radius is 240.0000 yet the distance from the quadrant where the profile meets the circle to the end of the leg extending towards the circle's centerpoint is 240.9995. I think AutoCAD refused to sweep the profile because the object would overlap itself. Once I corrected for the 0.9995 difference (using the stretch command) I was able to get it to work.

In the future, if you get an error when attempting to create a solid or a surface check your geometry first.

Looks like I missed Sparky's post. My apologies for stepping on your toes Sparky. Nice catch.