Drawing 3D general question

cso

I am about to start another drawing for practice and was thinking of drawing my desk phone. It looks complicated with many curves on all sides (I don't think there is a straight edge anywhere-really).

My question is, what is the best way to approach something like this (is there a best way)? From the front and then extrude and cut or build up with small parts unioned together? From the top view?

Each side is complicated and different from each other, so extruding only gives a solid, but not what is needed. I was also considering drawing a model car (matchbox), and they have the same issues; curves everywhere. I can mirror a lot, but will still need to add to it.

I'm not sure if this is too complicated of a project to take on. Classes for my second course just ended, so I am on my own. Maybe I should keep practicing on easier drawings.

You can use othe 3d commands rather than extrude and subtract.

Try using loft command or sweep command.

Draw cross sections of the object you want to model and loft them.

It is easy and powrfull command.

Moving to a 2010 or 2011 product would give you access to a new feature called Free Form Design. FFD makes use of enhanced mesh objects.

Ok, I will give all those ideas a try; and I won't give up. You may here from me again as I get going, but hopefully not too much.