Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Computer Details
    Andrew_Amp's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Default Quadripartite Vault

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hello, i'm new here - this is my first post.

I am trying to draw a 3D model of a quadripartite vault in AutoCAD 2007. The vault is rectangular, not square, so the arches to all four sides and the cross ribs are elipses, not arcs. The longitudinal and lateral corss sections though are arcs.

My 3D CAD i a bit rusty and i am thinking this project is beyond my skill set at the moment - previous 3D experience is limited to basic shapes (mainly for shopfittings) - this is far more advanced and i've hit a bit of a wall.

I've managed to set it out in 3D, and i've also managed to extrude the ribs (all of them, including the cross ribs), but i am struggling to infill the spaces between the ribs.

I can see that it should be possible with the information i have to hand - i have the edges defined with the ribs (3D solids) and i have the curvature defined with the lateral arc at the highest point - but for the life of me i've no idea how to fill in the gaps.

Also, the infill pieces need to have a thickness - the upper surface is the finished line of the vault, but ultimately i need to design formwork to be able to construct it, and the formwork thickness is 35mm down from the finished surface.

I've tried using the loft command but this hasn't worked - the elipses that define the boundaries (even drawn with pellipse) don't seem to be join-able each other due to them being in different planes i think (although the ends do meet at a common point so i am puzzled as to why this should be).

Anyway, i hope i've not confused the situation, i've attached a JPG screen capture which hopefully will help.

Using
    AutoCAD 2014

While Loft is capable of creating the necessary geometry, it may not be essential. The attached was done with Revolve, Slice, and Solid Boolean operations.
    Attached Files

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Thanks a lot for this, i think i can see now how to create the longitudinal arches, the extrude along a path drawing was very helpful - think of it as a large donut and then use Boolean tools to crop out the section i want.

However, there is a twist in the other arches where they meet the columns and i'm not sure if the examples take this into consideration.

Made a little progress this morning using loft, here's where i'm at...

Having trouble setting out the bottom guide line to ensure a constant thickness at the moment...

Using
    AutoCAD 2014

With regard to constant thickness; perhaps loft just one of the outer surface, then use the Thicken command to create the 3dSolid.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Hmmm, don't seem to be able to loft the single pellipses, it tells me they are not valid objects...

QUOTE: The guide is not G1 between first and last sections. The selected entities are not valid.

Not sure what this means.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Ahh! The problem was with the guides, not the pellipses - i used one of them instead of both and it seems to have worked. Trying to thicken the surface...

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

OK, next hitch...

QUOTE: Object intersects itself. Surface cannot be thickened with specified value.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Looked into this further, the surface starts convex but then becomes concave at the column - it needs to be convex all the way down. I think this is because i have an issue with the guides, for some reason it won't let me select both of them - i can select one or the other and produce a convex end on the guide i select, but the other end is concave.

I think if i can solve this the thickness issue will also solve itself (hope).
    Last edited by Andrew_Amp; 21st May 2010 at 11:10 am.

Using
    AutoCAD 2014

AutoCAD can be somewhat of a beast when it comes to 3D modeling. It sounds like you are making steady progress, though. Keep us posted.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

OK, have created the surface (solved the guides issue) - just checking it against the model to ensure it is dimensionally correct. Have tried to thicken it but it comes up with:

QUOTE: Object intersects itself. Surface cannot be thickened with specified value.

So, my presumption was wrong sadly - is still have an issue to resolve here.