Placing a Point in 3D

elijahjt

Hello everyone --

I'm basically new to AutoCAD (I'm using 2011, student version) and I'm having a lot of trouble with what I thought would be a very simple task: simply placing a point in 3D.

I open the acad3d template and switch to 3D Modeling mode. I choose the line tool, but when the option comes up to type in the coordinates of the first point, I only get a choice of X and Y coordinates. I'm forced to be at Z=0, which is not what I want (I would like to, for example, place the point at (1,2,3)). Wherever I look for help regarding this -- in an AutoCAD book I have or in the help files available with AutoCAD -- it makes it sound so simple (just type in the X, Y, and Z coordinates as you would in 2D space). They make no indication that there's something else you have to do to enable you to do that.

I have searched through dozens of menus and toolbars (luckily learning some things along the way), but I can't seem to find out how to accomplish this basic task. Is there some setting that needs to be changed so I'm not locked into Z=0? Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong? I have spent hours trying to figure this out, and I have come to my wits' end.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

It sounds like you may have OSNAPZ = 1 ((Options-Drafting-Object Snap Options- Replace Z value with current elevation) with an OSNAPCOORD = 0 ((Options-User Preferences - Priority for Coordinate Data Entry - Running object snap).

Setting OSNAPCOORD = 1 (Options-User Preferences - Priority for Coordinate Data Entry – Keyboard Entry) may fix the problem.

It sounds like you may have OSNAPZ = 1 ((Options-Drafting-Object Snap Options- Replace Z value with current elevation) with an OSNAPCOORD = 0 ((Options-User Preferences - Priority for Coordinate Data Entry - Running object snap).

Setting OSNAPCOORD = 1 (Options-User Preferences - Priority for Coordinate Data Entry – Keyboard Entry) may fix the problem.

OSNAPCOORD was originally set to 2. Even after changing it to 1, the problem still exists.

Also, "Replace Z value with current elevation" was not selected.

Damn . . . . thought that notion had promise. I don’t have any other suggestions, nor do I have AutoCAD 2011 to test them if I did. :(

However, you did seem to point me toward the correct area. Apparently, there was a setting under Options / 3D Modeling: Show Z Field for Point Input under Dynamic Input needed to be checked. Thanks for the help.

Apparently, there was a setting under Options / 3D Modeling: Show Z Field for Point Input under Dynamic Input needed to be checked.

Maybe I am missing something here, but I don't think the z coordinate box has to be initially present in dynamic input to use z coordinates.

On my machine there is no z box, I enter the x,y and as soon as I hit , (comma) after the y the z box automatically appears. Always been this way (with dynamic input) as far as I know.