LTScale in Viewport

gsksun4

I've got my LTScale set in model space to show a dashed line fine. In my viewport, it's a solid line. How can I get my line dashed in the viewport.

Glenn

2009LT

OK, I set my viewport to model space and experimented with LTS numbers and got my dashed line back, but now in my full drawing model space it's a solid line.

Do you only set LTS in the viewports and forget about model space?

Within modelspace set the command MSLTSCALE to 1 and in paperspace set the command PSLTSCALE to 1. Keep your LTSCALE to 1 also. Your viewport scale will then take care of the rest.

Msltscale=1 (will display per the cannoscale in the Model tab)

Psltscale=1 (will display per the viewport scale; not global, must be set in each Layout tab)

Ltscale=1 (or you choosing)

Msltscale=1 (will display per the cannoscale in the Model tab)

Psltscale=1 (will display per the viewport scale; not global, must be set in each Layout tab)

Ltscale=1 (or you choosing)

OK, I set all these variables to 1 and the dashed line is solid. I have the properties of the line LTS at 20'-0". Again in model space (The Entire Drawing) it looks dashed, in the layout tab, paperspace, it's still solid despite setting the variables as above. I set the scale of the viewport to 1/8"=1". and it plotted out a solid line.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Try setting the Linetype scale of the individual entities to 1

I just clicked inside the viewport to make it model space, hit properties, changed the LT scale of that line to 1 and it's now dashed. I thank you.

I'm confused because in model space of the entire drawing its back to solid. If I create this dashed line in model space before I ever make my viewports, and have to set the initial LTS to 20' to see how it looks, then I have to change it in the viewport to 1? Doesn't sound right. Forgive me, I don't doubt your instructions, but is this the way to go about this. Surely people draw in model space first, so they have to be able to see how that line will look.

Don't do it to individual entities. This is a global command. Type the commands in at the command line.

In model speace at the command line type in MSLTSCALE to 1 and in paperspace type the command PSLTSCALE to 1. Leave your LTSCALE at 1.

With Msltscale=1, the display of the linetype is dependent on the Annotation scale (cannoscale). Try setting it to 20 and leave Celtscale to 1.

from Help

MSLTSCALE

tab-left.gif

Type: Real Saved in: Drawing Initial value: 1

Scales linetypes displayed on the model tab by the annotation scale

Linetypes displayed on the Model tab are not scaled by the annotation scale

Linetypes displayed on the Model tab are scaled by the annotation scale

Note: MSLTSCALE is set to 0 when you open drawings created in AutoCAD 2007 and earlier.

With Msltscale=1, the display of the linetype is dependent on the Annotation scale (cannoscale). Try setting it to 20 and leave Celtscale to 1.

from Help

Now I'm lost. I typed in cannoscale and set it to 240. That's 240' in inches. Nothing, still solid line. Then I typed in celtscale and it's set to 1. Again, it's a solid line in model space.

Am I correct in that I have to set a MSLTSCALE, PSLTSCALE, LTSCALE, CONNOSCALE and CELTSCALE? This seems a bit much.

I have never had to fiddle with CANNOSCALE OR CELTSCALE. Leave those at 0 and set the others to 1. Your viewport scale and your model space ltscales will be shown according to the annotation scale that you choose.

I have never had to fiddle with CANNOSCALE OR CELTSCALE. Leave those at 0 and set the others to 1. Your viewport scale and your model space ltscales will be shown according to the annotation scale that you choose.

When you say annotation scale, do you mean in model space set LTSCALE (Overall) to what will show the dashed line? Or properties on the individual line in model space?

Sorry to go on about this, but I'm new to the whole viewport thing and I'm finding things I've never come across before.

I just plotted and had everything set to 1. It plotted out dashed like you said.

So, draw in model space, setting the LTS to show the dashed line, set up the viewports, set everything to 1 and plot, then forget about how that line looks in model space. Am I there?

I just noticed that your using AutoCad LT so I am not sure if what I have told you applies to that version or not. (I have never used LT) The annotation scale is a new feature added to AutoCad 2009 and above. Sorry for the confusion.

Do you have a scale choice in the lower right corner of your view within model space? Or if you have a VP selected it will show up then also.

I just noticed that your using AutoCad LT so I am not sure if what I have told you applies to that version or not. (I have never used LT) The annotation scale is a new feature added to AutoCad 2009 and above. Sorry for the confusion.

Do you have a scale choice in the lower right corner of your view within model space? Or if you have a VP selected it will show up then also.

No, I do not. I set the scale of the VP for plotting in paper space in the status bar menu down in the lower right, under the command line. In the plot tool it's 1:1.

I think your going to have to live with it as it is with your line type showing correctly in the VP. Or change your LTS in model space and change it back when your done. I know LT is limited and as I see can be very frustrating. Someone with LT experience will have to chime in on this one if they have a work around.

My error... I failed to notice the year and version of Autocad you're using.

As a workaround this is what I used to do prior to 2008...

Make a new Layout tab, name it Work. Set the Psltscale to 1 (all your layouts should be set to 1)

Create a Viewport and set the scale to the scale of your other viewports (plot scale). If you have more than one viewport scale in your other layouts, make more viewports.

Lock the viewport. Work in Model space inside the viewport instead of the Model tab, your linetypes will display properly. One added bonus to this method is you can freeze/thaw layers in the work viewport without affecting the other viewports.

how to make a straight line??

Is that a question? If so, then you might want to start a new thread and give a little more information on what you are asking.

My error... I failed to notice the year and version of Autocad you're using.

As a workaround this is what I used to do prior to 2008...

Make a new Layout tab, name it Work. Set the Psltscale to 1 (all your layouts should be set to 1)

Create a Viewport and set the scale to the scale of your other viewports (plot scale). If you have more than one viewport scale in your other layouts, make more viewports.

Lock the viewport. Work in Model space inside the viewport instead of the Model tab, your linetypes will display properly. One added bonus to this method is you can freeze/thaw layers in the work viewport without affecting the other viewports.

This will be fine. I know LT has limitations. I think what I'll do is go on as I have and not worry about how the line shows in the model tab after I create my viweports. After all, they create the final outcome, and now I know the proper settings for MSLTS, PSLTS and LTS.

Thanks to all for your input. If anyone else stops by and has a magic cure, please step up to that plate.

Glenn

2009LT