anybody else tired of how AutoCad handles 3D

redracer

Ok,

Maybe i'm just frusterated, but i do all my work in 3D using AutoCad solids and a 3D piping program. I x-ref in images to 3D modle on top of, but as my dwg file gets to be around 10meg.....performance really starts to degrade, and i'm not even 1/2 done with my model.....does anybody know if Autocad is working on some type of fix so that, let's say I want to model a powerplant from Civil/Structural up! By the time i get my base in and start extruding my foundations & Struct. steel, we start to drag.....This is even after.....

A) Creating a Civil Base

B) Creating a Structural Base

C) Creating a Mechanical Base

D) Creating a Electrical Base

I x-ref thes bases into my main model, but heres where it Seems to go "South".....Attached is my Hardware list: SEE COMPUTER DETAILS

You thoughts?

Is that a 32-bit or 64-bit system?

SCSI drives? Me too. What's the rpm?

4GB RAM. You have the 3GB switch set in your Boot.ini file?

32 bit.....10,000 RPM......Problem Is this should be more that enough hardware to run AutoCad!, most users don't have anything close to this....well maybe now, but it's several yrs. old.

You could always set some sort of reactor to inform you when the file gets to 8mb so that you can create a new file instead of adding to the already large one.

As for upgrading to another Autodesk piping program you should think twice because programs like AutoCAD MEP are far more demanding on your computer than AutoCAD.

---------------------------------------

3D AutoCAD Pipework - http://www.HerculeDesign.com/

Thanks,

But, i'm still want to know how this will help using Windows XP @ AutoCad 2008, I did read the article but i didn't quite get it, can someone explain in laymans terms. Thanks

Bottom line: you work with big or complex files you might see a performance gain.

Downside: You install 4GB RAM in an XP system and unless you enable the switch Windows doesn't take advantage of it and in some cases your system actually runs slower.

One possible drawback. Some graphics cards do not operate well with the switch enabled. I've used the switch on two different computers (both run XP Pro and both use nVidia cards) with no problems.