AutoCAD & Microstation

Chronos69

Hi, i currently have to use microstation for my work, but basically i hate it! And i want to revert back to AutoCAD. However the work that i do involves surveyors going to site and surveying the landscape/ buildings etc and then from that they create .dat files. I then use these to create profiles into Microstation of the surveyed area and then use this to do my work. Does anyone use Microstation and know if the .dat files can be used in AutoCAD?

Hopefully someone knows about this as Microstation drives me mental :?

Hi, i currently have to use microstation for my work, but basically i hate it! And i want to revert back to AutoCAD. However the work that i do involves surveyors going to site and surveying the landscape/ buildings etc and then from that they create .dat files. I then use these to create profiles into Microstation of the surveyed area and then use this to do my work. Does anyone use Microstation and know if the .dat files can be used in AutoCAD?

Hopefully someone knows about this as Microstation drives me mental :?

I don't think you will be able to use the .dat file in Acad although I've seen a few articles stating that the file could possibly be opened as a text file and edited to allow coordinates to be imported into acad.

The easier option would be to ask the surveyor to supply the file in dwg or dxf format.

Or, ask the surveyor what program he used to create the *.dat file.

That would be your best bet!

You could open the *.dat file and save to something you prefer; i.e.: Excel.