Need Help with 3 things...

Mason Dixon

That faceted top face could be constructed via Solidedit – Face – Extrude. The command sequence below created the attached file.

Command: _box

Specify first corner or

: 0,0,0

Specify other corner or [Cube/Length]: 4,9,1

Command:
Command:
Command: _solidedit
Solids editing automatic checking:  SOLIDCHECK=1
Enter a solids editing option [Face/Edge/Body/Undo/eXit] <eXit>: _face
Enter a face editing option
[Extrude/Move/Rotate/Offset/Taper/Delete/Copy/coLor/mAterial/Undo/eXit] <eXit>: 
_extrude
Select faces or [undo/Remove]: 1 face found.

Select faces or [undo/Remove/ALL]:

Specify height of extrusion or [Path]:1

Specify angle of taper for extrusion <0>: 80

Solid validation started.
Solid validation completed.

Enter a face editing option
[Extrude/Move/Rotate/Offset/Taper/Delete/Copy/coLor/mAterial/Undo/eXit] <eXit>:

Solids editing automatic checking:  SOLIDCHECK=1
Enter a solids editing option [Face/Edge/Body/Undo/eXit] <eXit>:

Taper.dwg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Mason Dixon

• MikeScott

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for this rushed response but I have a flight in 2 hrs. But draw the cross-section of your handrail rectangular. Make a pline of the angle and the corner of the rectangle, making sure it's closed. extrude your rectangle the length of the handrail, then extrude the angular pline the same distance on both sides. Make a copy of the pline extrusion and rotate it 90 degrees with the corner of the the rectang extrusion as the axis. Subtract (command: _subtract), select the rectang extrusion, enter, then the three other extrusions, enter. You should have what you need right there.

Let me know if you have problems, and I'll try to email you a sample dwg tomorrow. Good luck!

How would I taper this object..

hipped2.gif

so that it looks like this

hipped3.jpg

Can you use slice>subtract for that? If so, how, I couldn't get it to work.

Yeah, you could use slice, however, it's probably easier just to extrude the rectangle with the taper option and do it in a single operation.

taper.png

KC

I did it (the sloped top) in four steps using Loft. I created a triangle. Rotated it 15 deg. Mirrored it. Then executed the Loft command.

Other commands used were Pline, line (for reference), and copy.

Note: On my home system I have no trouble seeing any of the images posted in this thread. There must be something amiss on my work system.

They need that "bead" (the curved bit) to go around the edge and end of the molding... here's my proposed solution: (if someone could illustrate the steps, or otherwise make it clearer, it would be appreciated.. I'm still out of the country at the moment)

View the model from the top and set the UCS to match it. (ie- the top of the handrail, not the end profile)

Draw a line starting from the endpoint on the lower edge of the handrail, ending at @2

Copy that new line, from 0,0,0 to 0,0,2

Change the view to look at it from an angle (ensuring your UCS doesn't move).

Slice the handrail, using two points anywhere on that lower line, and one point anywhere on the new upper line. Press B to keep both halves.

Mirror those lines you drew, and do the slice command again the other direction this time.

Then Erase the unwanted "chunk" at the end of the handrail (the one with the flat bit you don't want).

Then copy one of the resulting pie-slices, and rotate it -90 degrees. Using the endpoint at the top of the profile on that pie-slice, move it to the gap you made in the end of the handrail.

For good luck (and use later) make a copy that pie slice off to the side somewhere.

Use the union command to reconnect all the touching pieces of handrail.. leaving off that little extra good luck piece you put off to the side somewhere.

DO NOT UNION the 45 degree turn in the handrail you modelled earlier with that extruded path thing, unless you use that same sort of directionless pattern you've got shown in your image. Otherwise, woodgrain patterns and stuff will look weird... the texture you add to it will not turn a corner unless you texture it seperately. If it's already unioned.. you'll need to use the slice command on it to seperate it again.. (or use that directionless pattern on it).

To get that stone look, you'll need to look at rendering materials, and select an appropriate one.. or find an image of the surface you want to put on it.

I've got the lines drawn where I would like to remove the wedge off the end. What should I do next?

wedgehipped.gif

Slice it using any points along those three lines. (Maximum of two points per line, so slice can tell where the slice needs to be).

Remark says adding the bead to the end will be a no-brainer. I'm not doubting that, but I've done a lot of this stuff, and don't know of an easy way to do it, aside from cutting a wedge and stuffing it in there (like I described). I'm hoping someone will elaborate a bit... because that would certainly save me time in those instances.

Maybe we're talking about two different things? Bead: the rounded portion that is on the side of the object.

Yeah.. that's the same part I'm referring to. How would you do it?

(I feel like an idiot)

Isn't this trivial? Left to right:

1. rectangle and circle profiles of geometry

2. presspull above path and below path

3. sweep path

4. line, line, line rotate, rotate, rotate

5. presspull

6. extrude, extrude, extrude

7. slice, slice, slice

Example.zip

and missing steps

8. union

9. apply material(s)

(I used lines then extruded as surfaces because that is how I think of setting it up in the machine to cut in the real world - no calculations needed). (I made up dimensions and angles.)

I'll have to wait until Monday when I get home, to have a look at it, (I'm not on my computer), I appreciate it though..

I don't have presspull, but I'd still like to see how you folks are doing it. This list you put here seems difficult to follow, but I suppose if I were sitting in-front of CAD, and/or could see the example, it would quickly clarify itself.

I just figured that if I diagonally sliced both edges of the end of the molding (across the center high point at 5 degrees), and then deleted the end bit, one of those resultant pie slices would fill the gap with ALL of the features of the molding, including the sloped bit plus bead.

So mine would be:

#1- Draw a guideline for slice,

#2- mirror it,

#3- slice both corners (using two points on the guideline, and a vertical edge of the molding for each. Oh, and leaving Both sides of the slice in-place.)

#4- erase the middle,

#5- mirror-rotate a sliced side piece to fill the gap.

#6- Then union it all together.

This list you put here seems difficult to follow, but I suppose if I were sitting in-front of CAD, and/or could see the example, it would quickly clarify itself.

With the file it is pretty straightforward. After posting I thought of several other problem-specific techniques that might be even easier. I think my first one was more of a general-purpose technique from a geometry perspective.

I believe it is entirely possible to sweep the profile of the bead itself around a rectangle and end up with perfect right-angle corners. It may require an adjustment to the UCS and the proper positioning of the bead "profile" itself prior to sweeping.

I believe it is entirely possible to sweep the profile of the bead itself around a rectangle and end up with perfect right-angle corners. It may require an adjustment to the UCS and the proper positioning of the bead "profile" itself prior to sweeping.

Sure, it is... c'mon guys this is really basic stuff... Extrude will yield same result.

sweep1.gif

KC

It may require an adjustment to the UCS and the proper positioning of the bead "profile" itself prior to sweeping.

Did you look at the file I attached. I swept the bead with the profile on a completely different UCS. That is the beauty of sweep - it will self-align unless you tell it to not align. (use caution if the profile isn't a simple circle)

In any case - I think we established that problems of this sort should be about as trivial as 3D modeling gets. Just need a bit of experience using the tools and try different techniques.