Need Help with 3 things...

Mason Dixon

All I know how to do in 3d is make a 2d profile of an object and extrude it like this

207bbiw.gif

Now I need to know how to make more complex shapes.

1. How should I go about making this shape?

34sseq8.jpg

2. I also need to know how to make a hole in the objects like this....

2dv3gk6.jpg

3. How do I make the concrete looking texture on all sides?

Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Mason Dixon

• MikeScott

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1) draw a polyline as you want the hand rail to go and then when you extrude the profile (use path and select the polyline)

2) if the hole goes all the way along the hand rail then draw the circle and extrude along the path and subtract frame the rail

if it only goes in so fare at the end of the rail then draw the cicle on the end surface and use the push pull command

3) not great with the materials perhaps some one else can help

Thanks, do you know of a tutorial that uses polylines and paths to extrude profiles on? If not, I'm sorry but thats a bit over my head. If you could give me a few steps to take to make it I would really appreciate it.

In addition to Extrude there is also Press/Pull and Sweep not to mention the use of Polysolid.

A path can be something as simple as a line.

A circle...well that needs no explanation.

Knowing how to reorient the UCS is of prime importance when working in 3D.

If you draw the circle at the end of the line, in the proper orientation to the line, then invoke the Extrude command simply follow the prompts after that.

Example of Extrude command using Path option.

Circle (red) and our path (line in black) on left. Result in red on right.

ExtrudePath.jpg

How can I make this shape with the hipped end.

14avk2e.jpg

Also, has anyone got any ideas on how I can make the sides look like concrete?

What is a "hipped" end?

The object can be made to look like concrete by applying a material to it, setting up your light source then rendering it.

I tend to start my drawings in plan view then move to an isometric view once I start extruding or using press/pull.

The hipped part is where it angles down on the left side. How is that created?

I'm not sure why I am having all this trouble seeing some of the images posted here but once again it appears to be the case. What is depicted in the image, a concrete wall?

Its a profile typically used in handrail type stuff.

I guess all I need to know is, say I extruded a rectangle a couple feet, how would I take a wedge off the end so that the extruded rectangle tapered at the end?

I'd draw the rectangle from the side that shows the angled end and then either extrude it or use press/pull.

In order for everyone to be able to see your images, it would be best if you attach them here in the forum instead of through a file hosting site. Many companies block these types of sites, so by doing this, you are actually limiting the responses you might otherwise receive. Click the link in my signature to see how to attach images to your posts.

Here you go.

Tapered Wall.jpg

Wall in 2D on left (black). Wall in 3D on right (red). I turned it a bit so you get a better view. 2D drawn using lines. Wall converted into a solid using press/pull.

It helps to know how to manipulate the UCS.

hipped.jpg

That is what I'm trying to replicate, so I don't think I can draw the side and extrude.