Multiple viewports and multiple layer states

VBG-FSDG

I have searched through the forums and have found a lot of information but none that completely help me with what I am trying to accomplish. This will be long but hopefully can give a good explanation of what I am trying to do.

I am using AutoCAD 2010. My company uses Layer States in model space to create our tags, schedules, electric plans and pluming plans. Our page setup is in paper space using viewports. Each type of plan has its own paper space layout tab. When I plot I adjust the layer states on the paper space layout tab for that plan. For our smaller projects I would like to combined our electric plans and plumbing plans into one paper space layout tab using two separate viewports. When I do this now and change the layer state, regardless if I have activated the viewport or not, both viewports and model space change per the layer state.

From reading other forums I see that I need to activate my viewport and freeze my viewport layers that do not need to be seen for the particular plan. I have done this but once I change my layer state everything changes. I need to be able to change layer states in model space to work with the different plans but have my viewports show the correct plan information as originally setup on the page.

Questions are, Do I need to create layer states for my paper space like I have for my model space? Do the layer states for my paper space have to have all layers on and just freeze the viewport layers? If I have to modify my drawing and switch a layer state in model space will it always affect my viewport settings? Can I have two viewports in one layout tab showing two different layer states? Thanks for any help.

Freeze/Thaw in model space is not the same as Freeze/Thaw in viewport. Your Layer states are changing the layers that on/off - frozen/thawed in model space, that's why the changes are showing in every viewport.

I suggest that you look into the 'New VP freeze' option..

I understand that. I am trying to figure out how to utilize both. Is this possible? How do I work on different layers in model space without affecting my viewports?

I would like to show the plumbing plan layer state and electric plan layer state on the same sheet using viewports. How do I accomplish this in viewport without turning everything on in model space and still be able to work on my plans independently?

This is what vpmax was made for, when you work in MS through the viewport using maximize viewport the layers displayed are only the ones displayed in the vp you maximized.

If you need to work in MS tilemode 0 mode then if your layers are named appropriately it is easy enough to toggle between plumbing and electrical with a simple macro or lisp routine.

Wow. Thanks rkent. I tried the viewport maximize but it still changed my other viewports. I must still be missing something. Do I need to create layer states just for my viewports.

I have a drawing from an architect I typically work with. His model space has every layer turned on, his paper space has only the layers on he wants to see. I see that he accomplished this by freezing his viewport layers. Should I assume that if he has any editing on those drawings that he access it through viewport maximize? Does this mean I have to have all my layers on in model space?

The simple macro or lisp routine is a little advanced for me or I just havent had to use it before.

I tried the viewport maximize but it still changed my other viewports.

What does "it changed my other viewports"mean exactly, what were you trying to do? Create a layer, freeze a layer, etc?

I have a drawing from an architect I typically work with. His model space has every layer turned on, his paper space has only the layers on he wants to see. I see that he accomplished this by freezing his viewport layers. Should I assume that if he has any editing on those drawings that he access it through viewport maximize? Does this mean I have to have all my layers on in model space?

Yes and yess.

The simple macro or lisp routine is a little advanced for me or I just havent had to use it before.

Easier than you think if the layers are named with prefixes or suffixes to make it easy to isolate. What layer names do you use to differentiate them?

• 7 years later...
Freeze/Thaw in model space is not the same as Freeze/Thaw in viewport. Your Layer states are changing the layers that on/off - frozen/thawed in model space, that's why the changes are showing in every viewport.

I suggest that you look into the 'New VP freeze' option..

This. One of the superpowers of viewports is that you can change the apparent layer state, permanently, on a plan. By freezing layers in the viewport, you avoid having to change the layer state every time you switch from one plan to another. I may be mistaken, but I think that was the original rationale for layer states.

To answer the question, once you have defined the apparent (viewport) layer states, you won't need to change the real (model space) layer states.

If you have many layer states, you're stuck with transferring them to the viewports. I don't know if there's code for that. Luckily, if there are overlaps, you can copy&paste a viewport and it will take the layer configuration with it. In other words, you only have to define a layer configuration once.

• 2 years later...
On 6/1/2010 at 2:31 PM, VBG-FSDG said:

I understand that. I am trying to figure out how to utilize both. Is this possible? How do I work on different layers in model space without affecting my viewports?

I would like to show the plumbing plan layer state and electric plan layer state on the same sheet using viewports. How do I accomplish this in viewport without turning everything on in model space and still be able to work on my plans independently?

i had the same concern.
What worked for me is the following..

inside the viewport, (ms command from layout tab) you choose the preferred layer state, and then open layer state manager (_LMAN) and UPDATE the same layerstate from within the viewport. That way has wrked well for me.

an observation i couldnt work around is that before plotting i have to turn layer on (_LAYON) from model space, becaus for some reason OFF layers do not show in viewports that use that layers.

PD: i am using autocad 2018 hope it works for you.

Edited by yoblipa