Opening File, Fatel Error

Michael Burchmore

Hello,

Im have a problem trying to open a drawing in AutoCAD 09,

the DWG file Im trying to open is a 2010 DWG But when i try and open it i get prompted with Fatal Error unhanded access violation reading oxo4d7 exception at 638df10fh. is this a compatibility problem, and will i have to convert the dwg file. if that is the case which program do i use and how do i convert it.

Thanks in advance

As far as I am aware you can not open a 2010 file in an earlier format. If you just need to view it you could you true view. If you need to work on it you will have to get the person who created it to do a save as 2008 format

thanks iv managed to save it in a earlier format by installing a trial 2011 auto cad, but my next problem is the xrefs. is there a way of breaking them in to drawing so i can edit them??? or converting the xref layer??

With DWG TruView, you can view and save down to an older version of AutoCAD, and it's a free download. Try this and you'll not need others to save down for you. You'll be glad you did. Here's the link.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=6703438&siteID=123112

Be patient when downloading. It's a 266MB file.

When the file is saved down to an earlier release, do a drawing recovery on it. That might fix your fatal error problem. By the way, I'm used to this fatal error thing. If it ever happens while working in a drawing, do not save when the error message comes up. You should also do an audit. Both audit and recovery are in File/Drawing Utilities.

Good luck.