Huge Drawing Files

Brookhill

Hi all,

I have a problem in that some of my drawing files are 1.3meg, even though they only have a few lines on them. I have tried deleting everything from the drawing inlcuding title block, purgeing all layers and blocks and it is still 1.3 meg. The only thing I can think of is that something has stuck in the drawing from when I have cut and pasted an architects detail into my drawing, but I can't find it.

Also when I cut and paste anything, even just a single line or a word from one of these drawings into another drawing, it takes about 40 seconds to appear and it instantly changes the size of the target drawing by 1.3 meg.

It's using up massive amounts of memory and really slowing down my computer. I'm using LT2008. Anybody any ideas?

Sometimes you need to run PURGE twice (usually when you have lots of complex and nested blocks).

You may also want to AUDIT the drawing, or even run RECOVER to clear out bad data if it's there.

Another thing you might want to try would be to WBLOCK out the entities you need to a new drawing file.

Try Purge again but use the command line version with the dash in front of it. Select option: All.

Any xrefs attached to these drawings?

How about bloated scalelists? Checked for that?

What are your system specs?

Sometimes you need to run PURGE twice (usually when you have lots of complex and nested blocks).

You may also want to AUDIT the drawing, or even run RECOVER to clear out bad data if it's there.

Another thing you might want to try would be to WBLOCK out the entities you need to a new drawing file.

I've tried all these and nothing has worked, but many thanks for your suggestions

Do a Ctrl+A on the keyboard.... does it show anything selected on the Properties Palette? Also, have you tried the command line version of Purge to rid the RegApps??

Try Purge again but use the command line version with the dash in front of it. Select option: All.

Any xrefs attached to these drawings?

How about bloated scalelists? Checked for that?

What are your system specs?

Tried the purge with the dash, but didn't work.

Followed up the thread on your next post to the 'scalelistedit' command, but this threw up an'Unhandled Exception' with a whole heap of text which I'm afraid is way over my head.

My system is Intel duo core 2.33, 320G hd, 2G ram

Many thanks for trying to help.

Do a Ctrl+A on the keyboard.... does it show anything selected on the Properties Palette? Also, have you tried the command line version of Purge to rid the RegApps??

I've deleted everything from the drawing and purged (command line). What I have left is a blank screen and when I Ctrl+A it shows 4 'points' which show in the properties palette as 'Block Reference (4)'. At this point it's still a 1.3 Meg file. Does this shed any light on the matter? Many thanks

I've deleted everything from the drawing and purged (command line). What I have left is a blank screen and when I Ctrl+A it shows 4 'points' which show in the properties palette as 'Block Reference (4)'. At this point it's still a 1.3 Meg file. Does this shed any light on the matter? Many thanks

Ctrl+A will select things that are hidden in the model. Do this again, hit the delete key, THEN do all the purging again, including the command line version. Delete all the layout tabs as well, before the purging. Save and see what that gets you.

Ctrl+A will select things that are hidden in the model. Do this again, hit the delete key, THEN do all the purging again, including the command line version. Delete all the layout tabs as well, before the purging. Save and see what that gets you.

Hi, just done all that and all I have left is layer '0'. When I do Ctrl+A it now says *error*, but is this just because there is nothing left to select? And guess what, the drawing is still 1.3Meg !!:lol: Thanks for keeping trying

Hi again, just noticed that when I open the 'insert block' box there is still a block named '_OBLIQUE', and no matter what I do I can't get rid of it. However, this block is also in other drawings I have that don't have this problem and are 190Kb ?? Now I'm really confused!

• 1 month later...

We had problems with very large file sizes for blank drawings too. Our solution was to delete layer filters from the drawings. I do this via a lisp routine called from acad.lsp. Once I ran this lisp routine on our drawings on the server the folder size was reduced by 3GB!

This file worked on AutoCAD 2002 & currently on 2008.

DLF.LSP