My fillets dissapear

steam290

Hi all,

Been dabbling in AutoCAD for eons it seems. Nowhere near an expert.

I have 2010 and am taking 3d components drawn in full size, inserting into a different drawing, scaling them down and placing them in the model. I have several layouts where I dimension the components. I saved the drawing.

Now I notice that when I reopen the drawing, some of the fillets on the 3d components disappear and are replaced by sharp edges. Not all fillets on all components are gone. But a component that has a fillet all around can have the entire fillet all around disappear.

Each component is on a separate layer. Each layer is frozen.

Thoughts?

Getting frustrated,:x

Dale

Doesn't have to do with scaling. They are there when scaled down. I save the drawing. When I open it, it appears that they are still there. I have been in layout view. Then during opening of the drawing, they disappear.

Nope, fillet too small is not it either. I have done some more experimenting and have narrowed it down to one of two scenarios. In my scaled drawing, I reapplied the fillets to the two turquoise double hole washers. See picture 1. One of the washers fillets has disappeared in picture 2.

One of these procedures is causing it:

1) I go to a layout view. I save the drawing. I close the drawing. I close AutoCAD. I restart AutoCAD. Default drawing template comes up. I close that. I open my scaled drawing and it opens in the layout view. I click the model tap and the fillet is gone.

2) I go to a layout view. I remove some dimensions that are on a dimension layer. These dimensions are removed in the area of where the double hole washers are in the model. I use a window selection to select the dimensions. The layer with the double hole washers in on and unfrozen in the model view. I save the drawing. I close the drawing. I close AutoCAD. I restart AutoCAD. Default drawing template comes up. I close that. I open my scaled drawing and it opens in the layout view. I click the model tap and the fillet is gone.

Shoot,

My drawings didn't load. Guess I haven't figured out how to do it. Anyway, they are here on flikr.

/photos/34186602@N07/4666315355/

/photos/34186602@N07/4666315671/

Dale

ARGHHHH, it won't let me do web links.

Put flikr in front of the two strings above.

Dale

Have you locked or frozen your Defpoints layer? I've seen that kind of issue arise due to that, though more with rendering than just displaying.

www.flickr.com/photos/34186602@N07/4666315355/

www.flickr.com/photos/34186602@N07/4666315671/

Other than that, I have no suggestions for you at this point.. Here some questions though which might help trigger an idea with someone else.:

Does it fix itself when you REGEN the drawing?

If you run the mouse over it, does the wireframe highlight and appear to show the fillet?

Does the problem go away if you change shademodes? does it reappear when you go back?

Thanks for the response.

My defpoints layer is locked and on. Are you saying it should be unlocked and on?

REGEN does not fix it.

Mousing over it and highlighting the wireframe does not show the fillets.

I am unfamiliar with shademodes. I will see what I can learn about shademodes and post and answer to the shademode question.

Dale

Locking the defpoints layer can definately cause weird problems sometimes..

It's strongly recommended that you never mess with that layer, and by default it's unlocked. It's used by AutoCAD to reference dimension points, and "other" stuff.

The Defpoints layer is like voodoo magic here at work.. ever since I did a series of renderings and adjustments to a 3d drawing with the defpoints layer locked, no one here ever touched that layer again.. I had weird 4th dimensional things going on.. where glass material developed an outer boundary that crossed over itself like a mobius strip and had a volume that was outside of it's own boundary.. hanging like a wierd tinted cloud in renderings. But it changed, depending upon how you were viewing them.. It defies description.

I couldn't repair it, even when I unlocked the defpoints layer, but further manipulations, and new pieces of glass added, didn't have the weird effects to them.

The shademode I was referring to is the display mode.. For example, wireframe view, flatshaded view, Gouraud shaded, etc.. I'm not sure how it's implemented in newer versions of Autocad though, or I'd give you the steps to check on it.

Shade modes; got it. The fillets are all gone in each of the shademodes.

I have unlocked the defpoints layer. I will experiment to see if that has resolved my issue.

Your description of the glass material is quite interesting. Must have been something to see.

Thanks for all the advice

Dale

Mike,

I think you nailed it. I have not had any problems since I unlocked the defpoints layer. It is also On.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated,

Dale

• 3 weeks later...

Been off this project for a little while. Just getting back. I have done a little work and thought that the defpoints layer fixed the problem. I updated some things and saved my dwg. I was in model view. Opened it back up several days later and several of my fillets on the component layers disappeared. Very frustrating.

So I went back to my last good save; drawing25.dwg. I verified that defpoints was on and unfrozen. I saved to another name; drawing27.dwg. Closed the dwg. Opened it back up and while loading the fillets were there. Then several fillets disappeared just before the dwg blanks for a fraction of a second before the menu bar comes up. When the dwg comes up the fillets gone. The fillets that disappear are on some of the components. But not all components have their fillets disappear.

Each of my component pieces is on a separate layer. They are all on, but frozen. There are several layout views with dimensions. This is Acad2010. I tried this procedure with the shade view in conceptual and 3d wire. I experienced the phenomenon in both scenarios.

I saved the dwg in a layout view. Opened it back up, went to model view; several of the fillets were gone.

Shutdown Acad completely and tried it with the same problem resulting.

Rebooted the computer; same problem.

Audited the dwg with one error found and corrected; same problem.

Tried this on my laptop. Loaded up acad and had the same problem.

I'd be more than willing to send the file to anyone to see if it exhibits the same behavior.

Thanks for any input.

Dale

Further info:

All these components are 3d solids.

One component whose fillets do not disappear is a block. I exploded it. Saved the dwg to a new file name. Closed the dwg. Opened the new dwg. The exploded block 3d solid's fillets did not disappear.

I went back to drawing25.dwg. If I block an object, the fillets immediately disappear.

When I had the problem, I had to go back to before I locked the defpoints layer.

If auditing the file doesn't work, you might have to start over. The act of creating this stuff (or moving it around/resizing) with the defpoints layer locked is likely what CAUSED the issue. I don't know if it's something you can "uncause" because the damage is done (somehow).

• 1 month later...

I have the very same problem with AutoCAD 2010, just when I loaded my work all my fillets totally cornered! It would be a lot of work once again if I have to start it all from scratch, and there is no way to fix it now, because there were like fillets over fillets crossing fillets, a lot of fillets, no way but to start all over again?!

But I have no Defpoints layer at all! And I don't remember deleting it or locking it or whatever! I didn't delete/lock ANY layer!

Please help!

And I almost completed my work when this happened, should have done it by the day after tomorrow, but if I have to do it again from scratch I will fail the deadline. Frustration is too weak word for my situation.