Paper Space Scale question: What have I done wrong?

Using Autocad 2006

Model space work input at 1:1 using architectural units, insertion scale units in inches.

Go to paper space, format a layout on ARCH D paper, knowing that 1/4" = 1'-0" is the scale that will fit the layout window, given the building size in model space.

Double click viewport, go to set scale to 1/4" = 1'-0" but the drawing becomes very very small.

Set the viewport scale to 1:1 and it zooms in to perfect size, and measures out on the actual print at 1/4" scale.

Question is, shouldn't my 1:1 model space drawing be the correct (or desired 1/4") scale in paper space by selecting 1/4" = 1'-0" in the view port scale toolbar, and not 1:1?

Something tells me I have an overall setting messed up, but can't for the life of me figure it out.

Thanks

Gus

If my ltscale is set to 1, I am drawing at 1:1 correct?

Also checked it in linetype manager, global scale factor set to 1.

Linetype scale factor has no bearing on it.

If you drew the building floor plan much like someone would have done on a drafting paper then you scaled it to fit the paper (i.e. - you drew it at 1/4"=1'-0") which is what I believe you did. When you then changed over to your layout (whereby you access paper space) and created your viewport and gave it a scale of 1/4"=1'-0" the result, as you state, was very small. No other explanation fits.

I drew it all at 1:1 as far as my input of line lengths goes.

If the wall is 20'-0" long, I draw the line 20'-0" long.

By drawing it at 1/4" scale in model space, would I have to do the math for each line, like enter my 20'-0" long line as 5'-0", or is there a setting that controls the scale, and if there is, that must be where my problem lies?

I attached a pruned down version of the file here, would you be able to look at it for me?

Suddenly feeling like a very new CAD user! :?

Thank you.

example for upload.dwg

Mauser:

You have an unusual drawing there. After some fiddling around I got it to display in the viewport at a scale of 1/4"=1'. To keep anything from going awry I locked the display.

Your viewport is on a layer called Notes. That is not a recommended procedure. Create a layer just for the viewport(s) and set it not to print in the Layer Properties Manager. You also had wto stray seemingly unrelated and extra vertical lines on the same layer. One of the lines overlapped your viewport while the other one was outside of your viewport and to the right. I erased them.

The dwg file attached to this post is your drawing with the fixes applied.

When I measured your original viewport it had a size of approximately 127'-8"x94'-1". Think about that for a moment. The viewport is in your layout and your layout is 1:1. The viewport was enormously large for the sheet size you specified in your Page Setup which was 24x36. You need to be more careful in the future.

Quarter scale building floorplan.dwg

Thanks for reviewing it.

(You must have saved it with 2010 because 2006 won't open it, no worries I have 2010 also.)

I like my viewports to print, boxing the drawings in on paper, but that's not the problem is it?

Not sure what you mean by "wto", but I 'm sure there might have been some bits of title block lines here and there, is that what you mean?

*EDIT* Yes those lines were left over after I removed the title block and clients information, leaving only the viewport...sorry.

Thanks for resending the fixed file, but what was the fix?

How can a layout at 1:1 in paper space, contain a view port that is 127'-8"x94'-1"?

If the view port shows up within the 36"x24" papers "printable space" doesn't that mean the view port is less than 36"x24"?

*2nd EDIT* I just measured the view port in the layout and got those same numbers, yieks!

Doesn't the white layout back ground "paper" represent the actual size of paper you plot to, with the dashed box representing the printable space?

Sorry to prolong this, but I'm missing something. :geek:

Ohhhhhh I get it, I see my mistake!

Went into paper space, made copy of same layout, and noticed that I had "plot scale" set to 1/4" = 1'-0".

Set this to 1:1 and the white paper background shrunk to real 36" x 24" size.

then re sized the view port, and when 1/4" scale is selected the drawings looks right, and I'm sure will plot perfectly.

Thanks for your time, sorry for not realizing this sooner.

For my punishment, I will freely admit to being a daily CAD user for 5+years who just learned this! :oops:

Amen to that. I think it's time to design a new template for my future projects. Too many loose ends as I have it now.

Again thanks, and glad to have found these forums.

I don't know if this will help anyone else but I was having the same problem, it was too small. I am transitioning from R14 and have never worked in paper space at all.

After several hours I found my problem. I didn't realize that there was a scale setting for both the paper and a scale factor for the view port as well - that is the one that I hadn't noticed.

Your viewport can be any scale you want it to be but your paper space scale when it comes time to plot should always be 1:1.