How to create coil along the existing part or sketch?

Be_cool

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Be_cool

• JD Mather

• shift1313

• vertical horizons

This should be some kind of elevarot rope so can u explane me how to use band tool on this particular example...or maby u have better solution.

Thanks!

coil_.JPG

Problem with coil is that u have to specify type (pitch and heigh or...) is there any option to specify sketch as a path, just like with sweep tool?

What is your design intent - why does that have to be precisely modeled rather than a simple cosmetic texture on a simple sweep?

it's not stricty defined that model has to be so precisely modeled, but i would realy like to find solution for this problem. This is my graduate work so i jut want to be perfect!

I cant remember off the top of my head if this works in Inventor 2010 but in solidworks I would sweep the cable sketch along the path and use the Twist along path option. in this image I did that and twisted 5 times. It would need some tweaking to get a good result but i think it might be the easiest method.

cable.jpg

What is your design intent - why does that have to be precisely modeled rather than a simple cosmetic texture on a simple sweep?

It looks like he is attempting to show the coils going through a set of pulleys.

It looks like he is attempting to show the coils going through a set of pulleys.

I know what it looks like. I was after more information of the why. I could do a cosmetic texture that by the time you back up a bit and view it in the context of the rest of the assembly you would not be able to tell if it was modeled or texture. But you sure would be able to tell by the speed (or lack of) of operations.

I see a lot of people go to the trouble of modeling down to the last detail stuff they will purchase off-the-shelf (like wire rope). Why? Time is money and cosmetic can look just as good.

I know what it looks like. I was after more information of the why. I could do a cosmetic texture that by the time you back up a bit and view it in the context of the rest of the assembly you would not be able to tell if it was modeled or texture. But you sure would be able to tell by the speed (or lack of) of operations.

I see a lot of people go to the trouble of modeling down to the last detail stuff they will purchase off-the-shelf (like wire rope). Why? Time is money and cosmetic can look just as good.

I agree, why try to model a cable, just use a texture. You can almost get away with a "Threaded" texture.

cable.png

KC

You can almost get away with a "Threaded" texture.

You might want to use a spline as the sweep path for a continuous texture or

Create several textures at different rotation angles and apply by face rather than by part.

Once applied you can interactively drag the angle in the Styles Editor to get the textures lined up.

Depends on how far back you will be looking at it:D

You can always have multiples so in one configuration you have a detailed wire for renders and in others a cosmetic version.

ty all for great post's!!! shift1313 did grat job with solidworks but sadly it cant be done in inventor. :( Hmmm....can i use solidworks model in inventor with possibility of editing and constaining?!

JD Mather can u explain me, more closely, how to create several textures at different rotation angles and apply by face? At least i want to have same texture along the whole rope.

... sadly it cant be done in inventor. .

Post ipt file here with dimensioned path sketch and circles sketch and I'll show you how to do it both ways - modeled or cosmetic.

Ok ty ty ty!!! I will post ipt in a few days, when i will know precise rope path over the pulleys. I'm still in calculation phase.

• 1 month later...

Why would you bother with twisted rope on this length? The length is huge compared to the cross-section. Show an image of the rest of the assembly - where is the rope.........

Also - you have too many dimensions in Sketch1 - use tangent constraints between arcs and lines. Use = constraints for equal radius arcs.