Two entities are non coplanar

Bobzy20

Hi guys I wonder if anybody can answer this simple question.

As you can see from the illustration attached I would like to allow the Green Pipe to follow the Blue Line using the Path command but I can’t fillet the 2 bottom corners due to the lines being drawn in different UCS planes or something like that.

Is there a simple way to draw the Blue Line so I don’t get this problem anymore? It would be great if you could rotate the UCS while drawing the Blue Line so it was a complete Polyline at the end because I’m unable to Pedit it also.

I’ve faced this problem many times in the past and although I kind of understand why it happens I don’t actually know how to do it properly so I don’t get this error in the future.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Bobzy20

Is there a simple way ....

I would use a modern 3D program like Autodesk Inventor for something like this. Not only will it allow the bends - you can set it to autobend and simply do the straight lines - Inventor will add the bends for you.

If you have to do a lot of this type of work (and you have to use AutoCAD) I would create a library of common size bends that your company uses. Then drag and drop, align and union as needed.

I'm afraid that AutoCAD polylines are planar only - you may try 3DPoly entity but this can contain straight (line) segments only.

My opinion is that the only way to achieve desired contour is to use 3 different paths and join extruded solids later.

Regards,

I think this is what msasu was referring to.

3D Piping Option.jpg

Difficult to see perhaps but the legs on both sides are red and the top portion is blue. Basically I've drawn only half the pipe in two locations so I can utilize the fillet command. Since one leg was the same as the other I just copied the extruded pipe.

I meant no disrespect msasu.

I’m afraid you misinterpreted my post - I just wanted to say that the image is showing exactly what I suggested to OP; and added a bit of self-criticism. Sorry for inconvenience!

For sure an image is worth like a thousand of words...

Regards,

No problem there msasu. :)

Curious. What time is it in Brasov, Romania at the moment? You must be 6 to 8 hours ahead of me?

I'm an aircraft engineer, but since ~10years doing AutoLISP programming for a civil engineering company.

Regards,

PS. Hope that OP will not consider that we are polluting his thread...

Thanks very much for all your help.

Illustrations are the best I must agree!

Speak to you soon no doubt.

Bobzy20

Or you can Extrude faces after each path! What I mean is that you use the Extrude command from the Solids Toolbar and then you Extrude the face like I did in the drawing bellow: