Struggling with .ctb files, .stp files and .dwt files... can't plot properly :(

Hello all,

Firstly i've been using the search function try and find the answer, but I aplolgise if this has been answered before.

I have a drawing i'm viewing in Autocad TL 2005 and a ctb. file from the user that created it - on a slightly later version i believe if that's relevant.

I understand that to be able to plot it as the original user intended i need to use the .ctb file i got with it, however i can't seem to get autocad to.. cooperate.

I have added the .ctb file into the correct plotstyles folder on the hard drive of my machine but it doesn't appear in the drop down menu on my plot dialog box under 'page setup' drop down menu. In fact, none of the .ctb files in that folder appear there and clicking import to look for them reveals an empty folder...

Autocad is only looking for .dwg, .dwt and .dxf files in that folder... not .ctb (or .stb as i have read about.)

Help please! Do i need to convert my drawing or the .ctb file in some way? Help getting them to metaphorically chat to each other would be appreciated....

Regards B.

The "correct" location for your ctb file will be shown if you open AutoCAD and click on Tools > Options > Files tab and then expand the entry listed as Printer Support File Path. There should be four locations shown. It is the last one that you are interested in. It's called Plot Style Table Search Path. Copy that entry and put it in Explorer and click on the "Go" arrow and Explorer will take you to the exact location. And that, my friend, is where the ctb file needs to reside.

You do not have to "import" the ctb file.

When you go to plot the ctb file should now be listed along with all the other ones you have access to.

wow, thank you for the exceptionally quick replies...

ok, so in order...

Dipali - there is no 'plot style table' - at the top of the plot dialogue box (and reaching the whole width of the box) i have 'page setup'

ReMark - I had already opened that correct folder and placed the ctb file i wanted into it.

However, i have found a way to make this work... file, page setup manager, then click new for a new page setup. The dialogue box produced is headed 'page setup' and as well as setting the printer and the size of paper etc, on the top right is a pull down menu headed 'plot style table (pen assignments)' within which are all the ctb's hiding in the aforementioned folder.

So to plot i go to the plot dialogue box, then from the 'page setup' drop down menu which reaches right the way across the top of that box, select the page setup i just created with the ctb file i wanted.

Unfortunately this method requires me to go through this whole process for each drawing...

Surely there's a more direct route? Something to do with page setup?

Many thanks for the help so far...

I didn't design AutoCAD 2004 so what do you want from me? I wasn't aware you needed to plot a large number of drawings using the same ctb file. If you had been using layouts it would be somewhat simpler since the info is saved with the drawing. It sounds like you are plotting from model space right?

You could possibly use a script file to batch plot all the drawings.

See If You Can See The Aroow Butoon At The Bottom Right Corner In Plot Dialoguebox. If You Click On That Plot Dialoguebox Will Expand & You Can Select Plot Style Table There Also

& Than In Susequent Files You Just Need To Select Previous Plot In Page Setup In Plot Dialoguebox.

thank you again for replies...

ReMark - i'm probably over exaggerating the number of drawings i have to print, certainly not worth a script file. I'm not plotting from model space... paper space has our standard company logo and drawing surround etc.

Dipali - the arrow is there and that's great, thanks. It brings up an extra box and i can select plot style tables there also as you said.

I almost wish i'd taken a complrehensive course in Autocad before learning it as i have, on the job... woudl have made things like this a bit easier !

thanks all :)