How to completely delete a table data link

drayle

Using AutoCAD 2010 LT with service pack 1 and 2

I created a link to an Excel file to create a table. Before I ETransmit the AutoCAD file (along with many other files) I want to remove the link so that the table is embedded with no need for the external file. When I have somebody who doesn't have the linked file on their machine open the file they get a "missing external file" message" despite the fact that I ran the detach data link command and have purge selected in the ETransmit setup. The table shows up with the data, but I want to eliminate the nag pop up about the missing file. I know you can click the ignore button, but I don't want our customer to have to bother with it.

By the way does anyone know a way to save a list of files for ETransmit like you do in a .dsd file for batch plotting?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• irneb

• eyde

• Farrit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to remove the datalink from your xref manager:

1) rename or remove the linked .dxe files

2) copy/paste this:

(dictremove (namedobjdict) "ACAD_DATALINK")

in the commandline, ENTER

3) save and close the drawing, reload drawing

this works in 2009, don't know if it works in 2010

• 2 months later...

wow that is awsome. My only question is what exactly does it do? dictremove=? namedobjdict=? should there not be a way to do this with standard acad commands?

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem as described above. I am using AutoCAD Electrical 2012. I need to completely delete a Data Link for an external Reference File. I tried the tip above in this thread, but my 2012 version says "Unknown Command" in the command line... it does not recogize this remedy from earlier versions...

Can anyone help me delete this Data Link / Reference File?

Data links are stored inside the drawing file as dictionary objects. That line which Tommy gave is a lisp which deletes the entire link dictionary - i.e. removes all data links. Most links disappear of their own, or you can delete them through the DataLink command. Some don't want to play well though. If you want a more fine-grained control, you could try my DictEdit routine here: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=78139

• 9 months later...

2) copy/paste this:

[color=#ff0000](dictremove (namedobjdict) "ACAD_DATALINK")[/color]

The only problem with this is that Autocad LT cannot run lisp commands. I'm running the exact same version as the O.P. and having the same issues.:unsure:

Just type in XREF and the dialog box will come up. Detach all of your data links in the dialog box. Now your good to go.

The X-ref palate will not let you remove data links.

And the problem we are having is the actual deletion. I've already detached every reference, but when i go to try to delete it, it gives the error stating it is still referenced somewhere.

I am sorry that did not work for you.

I use tables all day long and I just detach the data link by selecting a cell right click and go to detach data link which makes my table just text.

Then I go to the xref manager and select the data link right click select detach.

If that doesn't work and you can't use lisp (i.e. on LT), then try doing a WBlock (with Entire Drawing checked). As long as there's no tables attached to a datalink, this should make a new duplicate DWG file without any datalinks in it. Just make sure you've detached all data links from all tables (as Eyde's explained) before doing the wblock.

Note wblock does much more than detatch datalinks, it's one of the oldest methods for cleaning a DWG file. Usually it cleans it better than you can accomplish with purge & audit only. This is both good and bad, e.g. while all the usual stuff gets "purged", unexpected purges also happen like unused Page Setups are cleared.

• 4 months later...

2) copy/paste this:

Worked like a charm but NOT until i saved, closed, and reopened! Thanks!!!

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue; a base dwg with a ton of xrefs from clients and a ton of DXE data links that are no longer valid and you can't purge them. I've tried...(dictremove (namedobjdict) "ACAD_DATALINK") But all that did was remove the datalink dictionary entirely (didn't touch the DXEs). I've tried the dictEdit.lsp...that had no affect. It runs and shows a list of datalinks but not the DXEs of course. I tried wblocking the entire dwg, didn't work. I went in to each of the damn xrefs to find when these DXEs show up, and I've identified that. But I still have no clue as to how to get rid of these things. These ghost data links must be getting read from somewhere?? What table is being read that populates XREF Manager? If it's showing up as links there, then it has to be in the dwg database somewhere. What about "super purge?" Is that still available?

I think SP is available yes. Though I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. The DXE is simply a file, you can delete it in Windows Explorer.

If you mean that the DXE is still listed as linked, then it's most probably a situation of one (or more) of the xref containing the links. You'll need to open each xref in turn, clear the dictionaries from there, save, close reload, next. Until you've "cleaned" all the xrefs, then to be sure, clean the container DWG too. save close and reopen.

• 4 months later...

This thread was helpful for me on Autocad 2014 also - Just used this approach today.

I was using a pre-existing drawing set for a new project design. The XREF manager showed the pre-existing data link on the list but apparently XREF manager doesn't let you detach or remove if the data link is deleted at some point.

This particular data link was a portion of an excel document that was copied and pasted into Autocad.

-Chris

• 8 months later...

Seems like the Excel Data Link was inserted straight into the drawing but if you make a xref it will be no problem. But this help thankssss!!!!!!

• 10 months later...

2) copy/paste this:

It works in 2013

• 4 months later...

2) copy/paste this:

Thanks Tommy78!

... or you could just use the DATALINK command.

That doesn't work as far as I could tell, I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully though, you are correct for newer versions of AutoCAD.