Delete a Tablestyle

ziemerd

Is there a way to delete a Tablestyle? I opened the Table Style dialogue box, selected a style and right clicked. There is a choice to delete but it is not selectable, it is dimmed.

Thanks for the help.

Dawn

I have managed to delete a table style.

Make sure the style you want to delete is not set to current. Once this is changed it then allows for it to be deleted.

From Autocad help:

Delete

Deletes the table style selected in the Styles list. A style that is being used in the drawing cannot be deleted.

The style I want to delete is not being used. In fact I am not able to delete any of the styles.

I'm wanting to delete a table style that is not being used and I hate clutter.

I've added a screen shot to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the help.

Dawn

Table Styles.JPG

Hi Dawn,

Select a different style and set to current.

Then select the style you wish to delete, right click and the delete option should then work.

On the attached I set Standard to current, then selected Table Style 1, right click and the delete option can be used.

Table Style 1.JPG

Sorry Dawn,

Just read your screen shot again and seen that you are trying what i have suggested above.

In your drawing is there no tables that maybe using this Style???????

Judging by the name of the table you wish to delete, I am betting it is lurking in a block somewhere, maybe a block that would be inserted in a drawing title block. If the block is not going to be used, purge to get rid of it. If the table style is not used anywhere else, it should go away in the purge too.

Hi Dana,

I have just tried that by creating a table then making it a block, deleting the block, and then tried to delete the table style used in the block.

This did not delete the table style.

Purged the drawing and the table style went as per the result you described above so hopefully that will help Dawn out.

Hi Dana,

I have just tried that by creating a table then making it a block, deleting the block, and then tried to delete the table style used in the block.

This did not delete the table style.

Purged the drawing and the table style went as per the result you described above so hopefully that will help Dawn out.

Glad you found a way. There may be some sort of link left in AutoCAD's tiny little brain once a table style has been used, just like those for blocks. Purge can usually get rid of those. After all, tables are really blocks anyway, with a different set of tools to deal with them.

I bet this is another 2010 thing. I'm seriously pulling my hair out here. I've never put a table in a block but I purged all blocks and I still cannot delete the table style.

When I was in the Pruge dialogue box there was a table style selection but it was not purgable (if that's a word).

I guess I'll have to just lump it for now and not worry about it.

Thanks for your help.

Dawn

I bet this is another 2010 thing. I'm seriously pulling my hair out here. I've never put a table in a block but I purged all blocks and I still cannot delete the table style.

When I was in the Pruge dialogue box there was a table style selection but it was not purgable (if that's a word).

I guess I'll have to just lump it for now and not worry about it.

Thanks for your help.

Dawn

Dunno bout 2010 thing, I think it is an AutoCAD thing.

That table style has to be referenced someplace, even if it is not used. The dang program won't let you purge anything if it even thinks it is being used someplace.

Here's a "did you check the gas guage" idea. Turn the layer back on that the table is hiding on.:P

See which blocks cannot be purged. The table may be in one of them, too.

In the purge dialogue box it shows the table styles I cannot purge and it says it's being used in the drawing even though they are not in the drawing because I deleted them. They must be lingering in the drawing somehow. I know if I have a block and modify it and insert it in a drawing that has the old block, it will insert the old block instead of the new block. ACAD seems to hang on to things that aren't there any more.

I tried turning the layer off and back on again but no go.

I've purged everything, layers and all, and it still thinks the table styles are still being used.

In the purge dialogue box it shows the table styles I cannot purge and it says it's being used in the drawing even though they are not in the drawing because I deleted them. They must be lingering in the drawing somehow. I know if I have a block and modify it and insert it in a drawing that has the old block, it will insert the old block instead of the new block. ACAD seems to hang on to things that aren't there any more.

I tried turning the layer off and back on again but no go.

I've purged everything, layers and all, and it still thinks the table styles are still being used.

Of course you know I have resorted to guessing.:wink:

Try 'Audit'. it may resolve the unresolved references, or show you why they are there. 'May' being the swing word, of course.

That block thing is because the block definition does reside in the drawing once it is inserted there. It's what lets it stay the same while it can be changed in another drawing even though both copies originally came from a third drawing. In order to change a block to the new one without renaming it, you have to change it to the new stuff inside the Block Editor in the drawing where it will be used.

All this relates to AutoCAD 2010.

The problem begins with the templates installed with AutoCAD (and Map 3D). No matter what one does (purging, auditing, etc.), there are couple of nasties, a Text Style, and a Table Style, by the name of Legend, that simply cannot be removed drawing/template.

The problem with these unwanted "styles" is they become viral, ie present in all your drawings started from any 2010 version templates.

Basically, based on my current experience and knowledge, you are not going to be able to remove the Legend Text Style and Legend Table Style from any drawings in which it is present, no matter what you do.

So, as an alternative to simply putting up with it, you could find a drawing or template that does not have these "Legend" styles present, clean it out completely (so that everything is completely purged out, apart from layer 0, text style Standard, dim style Standard, table style Standard, mleader style Standard, etc), and then rebuild the template with your own standards from there, ie variables, styles, etc.

You would then edit your AutoCAD options so that all new drawings would use this newly created template (without the irremovable rubbish).

I hope this helps. I also have a completely "clean" template I can share too, if it would help.

BTW, I can't find any related "bugs" listed on Autodesk's website support.

Thank you Ryan GC. That is very useful information. I believe I have a drawing that is clean so I will go about rebuilding my template.

Thanks for the help.

• 11 months later...

Here is how you can delete both the 'Legend' table style and textstyle:

- Type TABLESTYLE

- Right-click and rename 'Legend' to something else.

- Close the dialog box.

- Retype TABLESTYLE

- Delete the renamed table style

- Delete the text style (now that it is no longer referenced)