How to draw plan and elevations automatically

bkravishankar

hi all,

Is it possible to draw two views like plan , elevation, side view using some LISp. i know that this type of customization has been done in ME-10 software. i am planning to customize AUTO CAD. my work totally involves duct routing for large plants. so feeling difficulty in drawing and later updating all views manually. can anybody help me out to solve this issue.

ready to work with any freelance customization guys.

revart ASAp

regards

Ravishankar:unsure:

No problem doing plan and elevations at the same time two trains of thought,

Draw say a plan while a seperate elevation is being drawn

Or simpler draw in 3d then you can look at any direction.

My experience with this is simple house designs drawing a plan but your actually drawing walls with heights the roofs are being placed on top of wall windows & doors cut in to walls etc

Duct routing though may be a bit more difficult or may be just being able to draw a 3d path which is used to extrude a duct shape. Interference fit is a different thing altogether.

Search for 3D path lisp here and the web I am sure it probably exists.

Where is the data for such things as wall thickness and wall heights as well as dimensional data coming from? A spreadsheet? A database application?

hi BIGAl & ReMark,

Firstof all thanks for your replays.

Actually i will get layout which will have plan view and elevations of different machines in a factory. It will give me start points of my duct and i will route them to my filters outside the building. usually the pattern of the ducting changes for many reasons so it will become a hectic work to modify in all views. a firiend of mine gave solution to draw 3 views at starting but once its placed all views become individual entities n there will be no relation b/w them his software is not freeware. so planning to customize. i know a company is already having a customized tool which server all my needs but i cant get it. so pls help me

I would draw the ductwork in 3D so you can view it any way you want. You can also generate 2D drawings from the 3D model.

hey Remark,

yep its possible.. but i cant use #D modelling software. no licence with me. moreover i will get layout in 2D drawing only so it maynot solve my problem.

Any other solution?

Hey Sorry Friend.. i could able to do it.. but it doesnot serve my perpose of automation. i want to do my ducting automatically just by entering dimenshions and specifying startpoint and angle or direction. viewing is not my issue..

sorry for the last two posts

I see. And Mech 2009 does not have this capability right? If so, then it sounds like you would need an add-on program. Does your company really want to wait around while you stop what you're doing to write a lisp program to do this?

Yes.. its my priority work.. either i need to develop or should look for someone who can develop it for me. we are open to get it done for us..

we already have budget in our portfolio for this work.

tomoro morning i will be posting a typical duct layout here. then it will be more clear about my need..

thanks a lot ReMark

Has someone just set your menu to be pure Autocad ?

You can change your workspace menus I have basicly 8 different ones.

Including Design, 3D modeling, Civil 3D Complete and my own one made up of different menus.

Type Workspace accept setcurrent ? a list should appear of those available. Also look for a little gear wheel down in the lower left of your screen this is workspace.

Do the following draw a pline box 1 unit square (4 sides) then extrude height 2 then vpoint 1,1,1 if you see it in 3d then your 3d is working but turned off in the menu's.

Remark

Reply to re walls there is a front end setup for the wall details but they can be changed at any time same with windows size questions are asked for. Part of a Architectural add on.

Back to your lines in 3D it would be feasible to write a lisp etc to ask questions and draw a series of lines and arcs in 3D.

Something like length arc horang vertang length horang length arc horang vertang arc horang vertang (I cheated and left out radius etc) this would need the ASMI lisp modified to include 3D rotations.

So depending on your answer is what it draws next.

You can use rotate3d to rotate arcs etc in a 3d axis way. then Just join up as a pline.

I haven't used but I would expect this is the way P&ID software works.