New Sketch Opens as Under Defined

Paul Miller

I have no Idea why this is happening. When I create a new part, after I choose a plane to sketch on, it shows that it's under defined before I start anything. Because of this, I can't use the menu for aligning points and lines and such. Is there anyone that knows what the heck could be going on?

Can you please post your solution? You may end up helping others with a similar problem.

Also, was this a 3DS Max question or an Autocad question?

I'm thinking that when all of the lines are black, it means fully defined. But when there are blue lines, it means underdefined. I don't know I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.

That's what it was. I'm just being dumb. My add relations bar was minimized. My program has been doing stuff on it's own. I don't know what's going on. All is well for now though.

It's solidworks 2008. There was nothing wrong. For some reason my solidworks program will change. For instance the drop menu for "Add Relations" like when you want to make two lines parallel by holding control and clicking on them has always been in view. Well, for some reason it wasn't. So I thought that I wasn't getting the option to add relations because the sketch was underdefined. All I had to do was click to show the menu. It was nothing more than that. I should have been more patient. My apologies.

Ok, just be sure to post your questions in the Solidworks section next time, not in the 3DS Max section. That's why I was confused because you were talking about a sketch and parts and blue and black lines and add relations bar, etc. None of that means anything to a Max user.

I have moved this thread to the Solidworks section.

Paul, there are a few ways to customize SW. If you dont customize your envinroment and save it, your tool bars and options may revert.

In the Tools>Customize menu, on the Toolbars tab there is a box with Context Toolbar Settings. These are the toolbars that pop up when you make selections.

Also when you are in a sketch, part or assembly you can press S on the keyboard and have a pop up shortcut menu. If you right click on this pop up you can add any buttons you want.

As far as line color, yes blue means the line isnt defined and black means it is. Also in the bar at the bottom of your screen it will let you know if its fully defined or no(unless you have this pane hidden). Another way to tell is next to your sketch name in the feature manager. An under defined sketch will have (-) next to it. You can also know other valuable info about sketches by things like ->X after the name means a broken reference. There are many more.

And for adding relations by either CTRL selection or Shift selectioin, the context toolbar pop up wont appear until you let go of either the shift or ctrl key. Also in your Feature trees properies pane your available options will be there as well.

toolbarhelp.jpg