Zoom to Realsize in Modelspace.

Raithneach

Hi, It might seem like an odd question but I was asked at work while modeling an intricate locking device to display a particular part of the assembly onscreen at its real life size to see if it was practical to machine, Its a small disc 40mm diameter with a few holes and slots. Is there anyway to do this? I eventually just did a realtime zoom with a ruler held up to the monitor just so he could make a decision on whether it would work or not.

I realize I could plot it on an A4 sheet at 1:1 and he'd have it in his hand, but I just wonder is there any method for doing this quickly in Modelspace or not?

Thank you.

Zoom to true life size? Don't know but viewing extends should be more than enough to see what needs to be seen.

Interesting question/idea, let's see how other forum members view your inquiry.

I realize I could plot it on an A4 sheet at 1:1 and he'd have it in his hand, but I just wonder is there any method for doing this quickly in Modelspace or not?

Thank you.

There are some on this Forum, who think that plotting from Model Space is the devil's work, and shout out loudly against it. So keep this advice very close to your chest and do not let anyone else know about it :twisted:

In model space, go into the Plot command. Then chose your paper size A4, choose your plotting scale 1 : 1, then go for the 'Window' Plot area. Then choose by windowing what you want to plot. Then you can choose to centre the plot, and go for a full preview. If that looks OK, then hit OK.

Out of the printer will come a nice plot at full size. and you will have done it from Model Space in 15 seconds or less :D

Your situation reinforces the advice currently given to all new users of AutoCAD...draw all objects in model space at their true (i.e. - full) size. Then switch to a layout, establish a viewport, scale it accordingly and plot.

I can't believe you tried that "ruler-to-the-screen" trick. That is just so unprofessional.

"Ruler-to-the-screen" trick. Oh, my.

Easy enough to print full size but scale your monitor? What's that?

Such a small part, would viewing full monitor work best? Up close, enlarged?

I knew these would come in handy someday...

Perfect! Starrett? Brown & Sharpe?

Gave me a good chuckle and, I'll bet quite a few more. :lol:

I eventually just did a realtime zoom with a ruler held up to the monitor just so he could make a decision on whether it would work or not.

:lol: I think that's what is referred to as redneck engineering.

At the risk of being deemed a redneck or perhaps a neanderthal I will confess to having used a rule against the screen and zooming in/out on occasion and I see nothing wrong in employing the technique.

So you're making design decisions based on measurements taken from holding a ruler up to your monitor and zooming in and out? :?

My boss would probably fire me if he saw me doing that. :lol:

So you're making design decisions based on measurements taken from holding a ruler up to your monitor and zooming in and out? :?

Not design decisions but simply a visualiztion aid - sometimes to examine/compare angular aspects of a sample to my approximation.

My boss would probably fire me if he saw me doing that. :lol:

Heh, good thing my boss is me.:D

Not design decisions but simply a visualiztion aid - sometimes to examine/compare angular aspects of a sample to my approximation.

On second thought, that comment is rather contradictory. So I'll change my answer to yes, sure. Why not? there are plenty of things that don't require extreme precision.

On second thought, that comment is rather contradictory. So I'll change my answer to yes, sure. Why not? there are plenty of things that don't require extreme precision.

Would that be horseshoes? :?

Raithneach,

To answer your question, yes, there is at least one way to do this. You need to measure the height of your drawing

window with a scale or tape measure. Then, in the command line type Zoom, C (center), pick the approximate center of

the object you want to display, then enter the measured height. This should display something close to 1:1 scale.

You may want to adjust the height value to better approximate the object size. That number is the calibration factor

for your monitor. This only applies to 2D entities. It might be interesting to work out a method to correctly display

3D entities at the display plane in various orientations. Maybe someone has already done this.

Raithneach,

To answer your question, yes, there is at least one way to do this. You need to measure the height of your drawing

window with a scale or tape measure. Then, in the command line type Zoom, C (center), pick the approximate center of

the object you want to display, then enter the measured height. This should display something close to 1:1 scale.

You may want to adjust the height value to better approximate the object size. That number is the calibration factor

for your monitor. This only applies to 2D entities. It might be interesting to work out a method to correctly display

3D entities at the display plane in various orientations. Maybe someone has already done this.

I don't think it needs to be that complicated:

ruler2.png

KC

Thank you all for the feedback, I knew it was a silly enough thing to do with the ruler to the monitor but what are you gonna do, you're boss stands over your shoulder and asks "can you display that part at life size for a sec so i can have a look?', I use Prosteel strucural modeling package and it has an extremely handy 3D element clash function which calculates bolt clashes and sometimes when get a

'busy' connection where say 3 or 4 beams some together it is handy to zoom to realsize or as near to it as you can to get an idea of whether to increase holes centers, can you get a wrench or a socket into a space easily, as a visual aid, it comes in handy from time to time.

I know from using Photoshop that you can employ a ruler for various jobs, I was thinking about a virtual ruler or something? I don't know.Regardless, thanks again for the input.

Yeah, it's amazing what the most innocent question will stir up in the way of opinions. I got a chuckle out of the whole thing.