Turning off the grid permanently

gofindsam

Hello CADDers,

We just got AutoCAD 2011 installed on our machines. I am trying to figure out how to turn off the grid display permanently. I turned off the grid using one of the icons on the bottom and then when I close the program, open up the program again, the grids pops up again. How do we turn them off permanently?

Your help would be grealy appreicated!

-Sam

I understand that. I just do not want the grid to show up everytime I open up AutoCAD 2011. Right now, I have AutoCAD 2011 opened up. I pressed F7. The grid went away. But then when I open up Autocad2011 again, it still shows up. I want to get rid of the grid permanently.

Either do up your interface the way you like it and save the workspace or create a acaddoc.lsp file in your directory (at the same place you find acad.lsp) in which you type (setvar "GRIDMODE" 0) .

To create the acaddoc.lsp the easiest way for me is to start a new document in Notepad, type in (setvar "GRIDMODE" 0) and do Save as and save it as acaddoc.lsp to C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD \\enu\Support.

Unless AutoDesk did something different then removing the checkmark in front of the Grid ON (F7) option within the dialog box should do it. It has worked that way for me on 2004, 2007, 2009 and 2010.

Tiger, thank you very much. I had to create a acadoc.lsp in notepad and that solved the issue. You da man!

Have a good day folks

Glad I could help. A sidenote, you can add whatever variable you like to acaddoc.lsp that you want set each time you open Autocad.

but in 2008, this trick effects only one tab (model or any one layout only).

sometimes our drawings saved in layout tab before saving but we are working mostly in model tab.

if we want to show grid when every time opening any drawing, we use above trick but it shown only one layout tab (if I go to another tab, grid not shown), if drawing open in layout tab.

if drawing open model tab, effected only model tab and one layout tab (another layout not effected).

some times this trick is not working :o

have any solution for 2008 Version ???

—Sam

It is set to on in your template file, open the template and turn the grid off, save the file, done.

This is the solution, make sure grid is of in template file on all tabs.

Grid settings is save in the drawing.

Either do up your interface the way you like it and save the workspace or create a acaddoc.lsp file in your directory (at the same place you find acad.lsp) in which you type (setvar "GRIDMODE" 0) .

I have done that and it sort of works. Found the .lsp file, and added in the correct notes etc. but only seems to work on brand new drawings. If I open up one drawing in the morning, it goes and goes just fine. But not on the second one that day then.

How do I get it to work on the second drawing that I open up? Do I have to reboot or get in and out of the software each time then to make it work? Do I need to open up the .lsp file and add in some note then to make it work on all opened up drawings, the 2nd, or 3rd or 4th?

Wm.

I was under the impression that autocad reads ACAD.lsp once when the program opens, and reads the ACADDOC.lsp once every time a drawing is opened - but that does not seem like the case for you Wm... I don't know why it doesn't work I'm afraid :(