things i should keep in mind before starting / layout trouble

davesec

Hi!

I'm using Autocad for the first time. I want to do some working drawings.

I want to draw in 1:50 scale, in milimeters. I want to print to A2 paper when all is said and done.

one link suggested I set limits, and from the table they had i set them as:

21,000 x 29,700

Then I started drawing my house. I had a lot of small problems but sort of powered through them. A couple stand out:

-Default lineweight through .25mm linetype all look the same in my model space.

-Can I have different linetypes for different layers?

-When I try to dimension something that's, say, 11,000mm, the arrows are tiny and the dimensions look like crap. I want to get that sort of nice oblique set of dimensions I've seen.

Anyway, then I click on the 'Layout1' tab and it looks like this:

(please view attached image 1.jpg - i can't post links until i have 9 posts apparently)

Never mind the giant batting linetype, I have no idea why that's there. But what does that giant black-outlined rectangle represent?! Why is it so huge?

Also is 'Layout1' my "paperspace"?

Then if I click page setup it looks like this:

(please view image 2.jpg)

Everywhere I've read seems to tell me to print "extents", but then it only seems to cover 2/3rds of the page?

Can someone help me sort this out?

Also, I want a titleblock but would rather use a default then make my own. Does AutoCAD come with any default titleblocks? Is it too late to import them? Do I have to scale them to this particular drawing?

--

One last thing, are there links to things I should do at the beginning of a drawing to help keep me organized while I make the drawing?

Sorry for so many questions, I jumped into this two days ago and am getting a little overwhelmed.

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• Tiger

• einstainas

• davesec

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi! Hey!

I'm using Autocad for the first time. I want to do some working drawings.

I want to draw in 1:50 scale, in milimeters. I want to print to A2 paper when all is said and done. Draw in 1:1. Always and Ever.

one link suggested I set limits, and from the table they had i set them as:

21,000 x 29,700 I would say don't bother with limits, turn them to off.

Then I started drawing my house. I had a lot of small problems but sort of powered through them. A couple stand out:

-Default lineweight through .25mm linetype all look the same in my model space. Don't worry how it looks in Model Space, worry when it looks the same when you plot.

-Can I have different linetypes for different layers? Yes. Use Layer Manager

-When I try to dimension something that's, say, 11,000mm, the arrows are tiny and the dimensions look like crap. I want to get that sort of nice oblique set of dimensions I've seen. Use Dimension Style to get the Dims as you like them

Anyway, then I click on the 'Layout1' tab and it looks like this:

(please view attached image 1.jpg - i can't post links until i have 9 posts apparently)

Never mind the giant batting linetype, I have no idea why that's there. But what does that giant black-outlined rectangle represent?! Why is it so huge? The giant black rectangle is your Viewport, that is a window from your Layout to your Model Space. Doubleclick in the Viewport to activate it and zoom and pan to your hearts content.

Also is 'Layout1' my "paperspace"? Yes.

Then if I click page setup it looks like this:

(please view image 2.jpg)

Everywhere I've read seems to tell me to print "extents", but then it only seems to cover 2/3rds of the page? Extents means everything that you have drawn, even if its just 2/3ds of the page - I would suggest use Layout instead, but that is more a preference methinkgs.

Can someone help me sort this out? We can :)

Also, I want a titleblock but would rather use a default then make my own. Does AutoCAD come with any default titleblocks? Not that I am aware of edit: after Tankmans suggestion I looked a bit and under C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2010\Sample there where some interesting DWGs, check it out. . Is it too late to import them? No, never to late, you use Import to import blocks at any time. Do I have to scale them to this particular drawing? No. The Layout is set up at the size of your paper, and the title block goes on your layout so if you only ever do A1's you can always use the same titleblock, so I suggest you do one now and then keep it for future references.

--

One last thing, are there links to things I should do at the beginning of a drawing to help keep me organized while I make the drawing? I suggest that you research (google, use this site, any books that you have) Templates. That's where you define lots of things at the start. And ask more questions here :)

Sorry for so many questions, I jumped into this two days ago and am getting a little overwhelmed. Understandable, we have all been there. GOod luck, Don't Panic and Ask Lots of Questions!

"Also, I want a titleblock but would rather use a default then make my own. Does AutoCAD come with any default titleblocks? Not that I am aware of."

There are numerous titleblocks, I think, supplied with your AutoCAD program.

Using '07 I click on the white icon, upper left, and my templates file list opens.

Seems there are numerous titleblocks.

Edit one, i.e.: DIN A3 - Named Plot Styles, edit away and save with a new name.

Save as a *.dwt file. The *.dwt file will be in your template listing with all your revisions.

you have to draw in model space.scale 1:1

then you have your drawing done go to layout.press on layout right mouse button.

select page setup manager.and here you can adjust your paper size,plot options ect.

you have to create a new viewport and then select scale of your viewport.

then you dimensionig make it in paper space.

then you dimensionig make it in paper space.

Where to dimension is a preference thing, I tend to keep my dimensions in Model Space for various reasons, some keep them all in Paper Space and some alternate. Find what works for you and go from there.

if you want to see lineweight.you have press icon in the bottom (left side) lwt.

but first you have to apply lineweight to object.you can do this using layers, or properties

THANK YOU!

Okay, new question regarding my 'viewport'

When I double click, I can pan/zoom the actual drawing I did. But the viewport 'rectangle' itself doesn't move. Shouldn't it line up with the other rectangle with the dotted line?

THANK YOU!

Okay, new question regarding my 'viewport'

When I double click, I can pan/zoom the actual drawing I did. But the viewport 'rectangle' itself doesn't move. Shouldn't it line up with the other rectangle with the dotted line?

Doubleclick outside the Viewport to de-activate it - or type PS to go back to Paper Space. While in Paper Space you can highlight the viewport and click and pull on the grips to place it where you want. You can lign the viewport up as you like, you can also have multiple Viewports (type MVIEW) to show different views and zoom-levels of your Model Space.

Where's that "you don't need 10 posts" person when you need 'em?:lol:

Anyhoo, I borrowed part of CAD64's sig for a minute.

check your variables: FILEDIA = 1, PICKFIRST = 1, PICKADD = 1 Just type the command names to see what they are set to and change them to 1 if need be.

I swear, I'll give it back.:wink:

Also, go to Tools > Options and then Tools > Drafting Settings

Go through ALL the stuff on your Options and Drafting Settings Dialog boxes and make use of the F1 (Help) key for each one. Just click your cursor on something and hit F1.

If the Help sections prove as inscrutable for you as they do for me,:huh: ask the forum to clear 'em up a little.

I am pretty much a beginner compared to most of the seniors on this forum. What I do is read the new posts here a couple of times a day. I find boatloads of answers I didn't even know I had questions for and it's helped me a great deal.

Another thing I do, when I see a beginner question that I don't know the answer to, I research it to figure it out, and either check myself against the expert answers posted later or post the answer if it is obviously correct. Sometimes I just think it is correct and get corrected. :shock::x:lol:

thanks again!

just so i have this clear, if you look once more at the first jpeg i attached, that white rectangle corresponds to my A2 piece of paper, and the larger rectangle is the 'grips' of my viewport. what does the dotted line represent?

secondly, i do want to try and figure out what went wrong with that giant batting in my paperspace.

in my model i wanted to show insulation, so what i did (and this is probably wrong), was draw a line through the middle of the space that i want insulation to show up in (first image - the line i've circled in blue represents this line)

then i changed the linetype to batting, and increased the scale until the linetype was big enough to fit in there (6.9 was what i settled on. jpg # 2!)

then i when i click on my paperspace i see just one giant piece of batting (you can see this in the first image of my original post).

what exactly did i do wrong, and what's a better way to go about doing this?

thanks for your help!

1.jpg

2.jpg

The dotted line is the margins, what is inside in the dotted lines is what you can plot. Check out the Page Setup Manager to see how to change the margin settings - and much more!

The dotted line is your printable area. You will want to zoom in really close to the grips on your viewport and move them to just inside that dotted line by a couple of 0.010's.

If the viewport is positioned outside the printable area, AutoCAD defaults an ugly frame around the drawing at the edge of the printable area. At least it does it to me.

The dotted line is the margins, what is inside in the dotted lines is what you can plot. Check out the Page Setup Manager to see how to change the margin settings - and much more!

Margins? Lemme go look at that.

Margins = printable Area

OK, but I had to go see for myself. Thanks.

The only way to change the "margins", that I found is to change the paper size and/or orientation.

The margins can be affect by the settings on the Printer as well, or rather the paper-settings on the Printer.

That is correct. Thanks for reminding me. At My last job, the plotter had a custom option to run all the way out to what IT thinks is the edge of the page, or shrink it up to a silly little bit, Never needed it for anything, though.

On most plotters the default is about 1/4" to 3/8" off the edge. That is usually good enough.

Now, my stupid little letter size printer here in my home office and dog bedroom has much wider unprintable margins.

if you dont want to see viewport rectangular you can put it to new layer and then turn off.

you can adjust printable area at page setup manager.first you have select printer then go properties. here you can modify it.i prefer set to 0 all.

if you want frame you have draw rectangular.then you ploting select window (under page setup manager) and select all rectangular.then plot offset set x-20,y-10,

so if you will do this you will have frame 20 mm from left side, and ten from botom.

you have to draw right size regtangular if you want to have nice aliment.

thanks guys! any ideas regarding my problem with the giant batting linetype?

It could be the linetype scale being large, and a regen being needed.

If your drawing looks rough or silly or you can't zoom properly at times, just type regen to regenerate the current view, or regenall to regenerate the entire drawing.

AutoCAD will take shortcuts in displaying your drawing image at times, to save memory space. It will turn arc's and circles into faceted arches, skinny up the lines, and drop or skew random stuff.

Complicated linetypes are often messed up until a regen is done.