Suggested changes to this forum

CADTutor

trained beavers.

The only other thing I want to say is that, ultimately, the people who come on here looking for and requesting programs and scripts, it's up to them to decide whether or not they want to use it. It's up to them to understand what it's doing. It's their responsibility, just like it is yours or mine when our cars break down or our wrist-watches hit daylight savings time. If there is malicious code in a script, or even if there isn't, well, it's the user's fault for blindly assuming it'll do its job without flaw.

Also, these people will most likely test the routines out, then post a hearty "Thanks!" if it works, or "No that didn't work, can you rewrite it" if it is a bad routine. Then, someone who reads the post later down the road will have a pretty good idea what they're getting themselves into.

On a more serious note, I would be more than happy to help train some beavers, sounds like it would be a lot more fun than writing AutoLisp.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Buzzard

• CADTutor

• Lee Mac

• Se7en

I think there should be a dedicated Autolisp/Vlisp forum with two subforums- one for those requesting help on developing code and the other for those that want the code written/provided for them.

Maybe they could be titled "Teach to fish" & "Give a fish" (keeping with the CADTutor's fish theme)

I am a new poster here, and I think you guys are correct in not wanting garbage code and .dll's floating around similar concerns with exe files; You need to see the code to be sure its safe. The other concern is will the .net forum be active enough? Well I am not sure but sooner or later I think it inevitable that programming is changing and lots of programmers are liking C# and VB.net is very similar; The IDE in VS is GREAT, development time for new users is improved because of it.

My feeling is a tutorial gets approval first, and if approved goes in a .net tutorial sub section under .net.

For general posting well it just goes in a .net forum such as any category would have for learning, and any code can be posted its just not approved (no .dll's just code). basic things go on here like asking for help or helping new users. I am a new user myself BUT I have been working hard developing code also.

You've got a point, RMS. I had the same feeling. Most of what goes on in the current forum is vanilla LISP, though the more experienced users would take a vanilla LISP problem and make it easier (nicer, cleaner, harder, better, faster, stronger) using Visual LISP. We will get a VBA question here or there, maybe one or two a day, and a .net question maybe once every month or two. If the forum was split up into its constituents, the VBA and .net forums would be ghost towns compared to the LISP forum.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if codes that are posted in the Archive can only be posted by the Author or is the forum going to continue to allow posting of codes by people not being the Author? It does not seem right that this should be allowed. Also codes in the Archive should have header information in tact. There are two codes now in the Archive I feel that should not be in there, Because they were posted by others and not the Author.

For this reason the Archive should have restrictions, But that does not explain how these codes got in there in the first place. As restricted as it is now, something slipped through the cracks.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if codes that are posted in the Archive can only be posted by the Author or is the forum going to continue to allow posting of codes by people not being the Author?

Clearly, in addition to the new forum configuration, we'll need a moderator team to look after it. I now have a basic idea of what's required and I'll implement shortly but right now I'm focussing on the forum upgrade.

Please keep the comments coming, I'd like tro make sure we cover as many bases as possible.

The archive(s) IMO should be open. How are we going to comment on code/apps or make improvements comments, etc. to the author, and or code?

For example:

If custom solution "abc" was posted then how does one go about making comments on its improvement, bugs, or features besides an open tread somewhere else (this link and thread would have to be created before hand and added to thread post thus becoming a forum maintenance/submittal procedure nightmare).

Not to mention the situation where a "better" solution is generated by another member; where, if open, a link could be posted in orig thread to new thread but If closed the pot of solutions becomes a hodge-podge of solution 1, 2, 3, 4a, 4c (`B' is dead now), 5e (dont know what happened to a -- d), and so on.

The archive(s) IMO should be open. How are we going to comment on code/apps or make improvements comments, etc. to the author, and or code?.

What I envisaged was an open forum where code is submitted for comment, testing, improvement and ulitmately, approval. At that point, the code is moved to an "archive" forum as a trusted resource with a description of its use by the author.

There are alternative models. For example, an author could maintain the most up-to-date code in the opening post of a thread along with version details and a description of use. There is then never any doubt about the status of the code.

In short, most things are possible. All we need to decide is how best to do it - I'm listening.

Looking forward, there are other options to consider. The new forum software I'm testing at the moment will allow members to create their own personal blog. That may be a better vehicle for code authors than a forum thread.

The archive(s) IMO should be open. How are we going to comment on code/apps or make improvements comments, etc. to the author, and or code?

For example:

If custom solution "abc" was posted then how does one go about making comments on its improvement, bugs, or features besides an open tread somewhere else (this link and thread would have to be created before hand and added to thread post thus becoming a forum maintenance/submittal procedure nightmare).

Not to mention the situation where a "better" solution is generated by another member; where, if open, a link could be posted in orig thread to new thread but If closed the pot of solutions becomes a hodge-podge of solution 1, 2, 3, 4a, 4c (`B' is dead now), 5e (dont know what happened to a -- d), and so on.

I say it should be done the way it has been done all along. These codes start out on the regular lisp forum and are tested and upgraded there. After a period of time when its deemed to be code worthy, It is submitted to be archived. Any additional comments or unforeseen problems can be brought to the authors attention through the lisp forum.

It makes no sense to have a redundant forum for comments. The purpose of it should be to find codes that are proven much easier and nothing more.

CADTutor,

I understand the intention, but to me it sounds very ambitious.

The Buzzard,

Having two forums is exactly what is being proposed (one for comments and one for code).

> These codes start out on the regular lisp forum and are tested

> and upgraded there. After a period of time when its deemed to be code

> worthy, It is submitted to be archived. Any additional comments or

> unforeseen problems can be brought to the authors attention through

> the lisp forum.

Questions:

1. Does the code in the orig thread get removed or does it remain as a discussion (Users looking for solutions to their problems tend to skim threads and cut and paste code. They will be very unlikely to read the entire thread)?

2. Where does the link go to notify a reader that code has been posted to the Archive forum (In the first post; and what happens when a search is done by a user which leads them to the middle of the thread)?

3. What happens to the orig thread (does it get locked, deleted)?

4. If the orig thread gets deleted, locked or etc, what happens when the code has to change because of a new release, api, etc.

...I am only thinking of how the public uses threads not necessarily how developers use them.

CADTutor,

I understand the intention, but to me it sounds very ambitious.

The Buzzard,

Having two forums is exactly what is being proposed (one for comments and one for code).

> These codes start out on the regular lisp forum and are tested

> and upgraded there. After a period of time when its deemed to be code

> worthy, It is submitted to be archived. Any additional comments or

> unforeseen problems can be brought to the authors attention through

> the lisp forum.

Questions:

1. Does the code in the orig thread get removed or does it remain as a discussion (Users looking for solutions to their problems tend to skim threads and cut and paste code. They will be very unlikely to read the entire thread)?

2. Where does the link go to notify a reader that code has been posted to the Archive forum (In the first post; and what happens when a search is done by a user which leads them to the middle of the thread)?

4. If the orig thread gets deleted, locked or etc, what happens when the code has to change because of a new release, api, etc.

...I am only thinking of how the public uses threads not necessarily how developers use them.

Se7en,

I interpreted your post as posting comments in the archive. See below.

As the situation stands now, Codes are posted in the the regular forum for lisp and put thru the paces. When Author feels the code has been developed and got enough feedback, The Author will request permission to post it in the Archive. All future comments good or bad are posted in the original thread. The Author will make the adjustments and upload to the Archive. The Author will also notify members in the original thread that changes are made and provide the link to the Archive for the updated code.

What I am saying is we should not change this. Redundant posting only leads to more confusion and the archive will look more disorganized. It would kind of defeat the purpose of having the Archive to make it easier to find code in the first place. The Archive should not be open to posting or uploading code without permission. Keep it the way it is now.

I agree. But I have to be honest I really don't know the way things work here all that well. I am sure the "Top Dog" will have the final say. We can always reform as we go.........Right??

Some ideas:

1. Code tutorials or snippets gets approved (go in special tutorial section ??)

2. Code tutorials start out in general forum also for comments (open to all)

3. Maybe members poll on it (yes make tutorial or not)??

4. If approved topic gets moved to tutorial section, author gets credit or if not it stays put.....???

:)

I agree. But I have to be honest I really don't know the way things work here all that well. I am sure the "Top Dog" will have the final say. We can always reform as we go.........Right??

Some ideas:

1. Code tutorials or snippets gets approved (go in special tutorial section ??)

2. Code tutorials start out in general forum also for comments (open to all)

3. Maybe members poll on it (yes make tutorial or not)??

4. If approved topic gets moved to tutorial section, author gets credit or if not it stays put.....???

:)

Then why bother having an Archive. The regular lisp forum should suit everyones needs.

Look, When a code goes into the Archive, It should have a link to take you back to the original thread for comments good or bad. To give free access to all is to also give free access to spammers and hackers. Give free access to all and you are playing with fire.

Why not browse the existing Archive threads and see for yourself :thumbsup:

Why not browse the existing Archive threads and see for yourself :thumbsup:

Exactly Lee,

You have the links to go to loading instructions and to take you to the original thread.

It cannot get any easier than that.

If the Archive becomes a free posting and comment forum why bother to have AutoLISP, VBA, the CUI & Customisation or the AutoLISP Archive. Should be only one place to post the comments.

Also it should not be a place for codes that are better than nothing. You can find that anywhere.

See below.

AutoLISP Archive

There are many AutoLISP routines posted at various places throughout this board. This archive brings the best of them together for easy retrieval.

Sorry if anyone is offended by the above, But this tells you to work harder at your coding skills if you expect to get you code in the Archive.

This site is known to be the best just from the approach of the way things are done here. Why ruin this.