CAD File of Letters for laser cutting

KStatefan

I am looking looking for a drawing file of letter and number stencils. I have stencils in a ttf file but I need to convert that into single line drawing to import to the laser.

Write the text as normally and explode it with the TXTEXP command. Maybe in the latest versions that completes the job, in AutoCAD 2006 after exploding I must cleaning a bit using OVERKILL and BOUNDARY.

You could explode your txt using Express Tools...

You'll have to clean it up a bit but you have a lot more freedom then with a template

KC

Many lasers for cutting purposes do not understand any type of a TT or Raster font. Like my friend's laser they only understand .SHX type of fonts as used in the original HP-GL language for plotters. They do not understand anything having to do with HP-GL-2 or anything else.

Years ago, I got a True-type to DXF converter offa the internet. It loads in two seconds, but has poor instructions as to actual conversion. It will absorb most any modern TTF or those of a raster format, then convert to a DXF file which you can import in to your drawing. Instead of going back time after time, I did the old ABC,,,, to 123,,, to abc,,, routine and had everything converted at one time. Saves a twenty minute conversion step.

Wm.

I found Desk Engrave but autocad would not open the files it created. I would like something like that.

Engraving and cutting are two different things here, and require two different types of file formats and two different operations on cutting (or engraving) machines.

I really doubt that Acad could. For one thing you have to assume that the files created in Autocad are exactly how you would like things to appear when finished. Certainly not after machining and cutting has been done. You have to continue on with the process, and consider as to if that same exact file were to go on to a KCAM controlled machine. You then expect Acad to P-U and recogise all the different file formats?

You are creating a file format in which your only machine will understand and heve to proceed on that basis. Alter the part (or engraving) in Acad one more time, and then process again in your desk engrave system software, and see what changes have occured.

Wm.

What is TEXTEXP?

From your AutoCAD Help file.

TEXTEXP

"Explodes Text or MText into geometry that can be assigned a thickness or an elevation."

From the webpage it can save to DXF - that is supported by AutoCAD - it looks like it does what TEXTEXP does though.

I get this error when trying to open a file created with DeskEngrave

From your AutoCAD Help file.

TEXTEXP

"Explodes Text or MText into geometry that can be assigned a thickness or an elevation."

I get this when try this command.

Unknown command "TEXTEXP". Press F1 for help.

I get this when try this command.

Unknown command "TEXTEXP". Press F1 for help.

You most likely don't have the Express Tools installed. Find your installation-disks and pop them in and find something about installing Express Tools.

Your Profile is correct and you are using ACad Mech 2010? So that it's not LT?

You most likely don't have the Express Tools installed. Find your installation-disks and pop them in and find something about installing Express Tools.

Your Profile is correct and you are using ACad Mech 2010? So that it's not LT?

I do not have the disk it had to go back to corporate IT after I installed it. Can the express tools be downloaded?

Yes I have Mechanical 2010