Copy to clipboard failed ??

AJSmith

trying to copy info from one drawing into another have do this 3 time before and not the 4th time i get the message

Copy to clipboard failed

what have a done and how do i fix it???

many thanks

Adam

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• SLW210

• AJSmith

• MLittle

I've had similar problems. I was told it would be fixed at a later date. Perhaps in an Update or addressed in 2011.

For me sometimes it works no problem and other times it doesn't work at all.

oo is a odd on out of the 7 drawings im using 2 dont wanna copy the info i have tryed resetting my PC and trying again but still dont work

i got it i have to insert the drawing in to a fresh drawing as a brock then exploded it and copyed the info i needed and it worked :)

I'm glad you found a workaround but we shouldn't be having copy/paste and/or copyclip errors in AutoCAD or any other AutoDesk product. This is one of those errors that has been around so long it makes me wonder if they just decided to ignore it. Jeez, didn't we have this type of crap happening all the way back to 2000i? That was several releases ago. Fix the damn code!

Sorry about the rant.

It's like potholes. They get patched every year but nobody does anything about a long term solution to the problem.

Copy / paste was a big problem in early releases of 2007.

Autodesk released a 'Hotfix' and addressed it in a service pack, but is was (and still is) a problem for years because people did not apply the Hotfix or SP to their 2007.

We have the same problem here. It appears that files saved in the early version of Acad2007 before the fix have this problem.

(Bug resides within the drawing file itself.)

We are now using Acad2010 and I'm guessing that when an older file (possibly saved or created with Acad2007) is opened, this bug shows it's ugly head. My fix has been to do a file save & close then open the drawing back up and the problem is fixed. This fix works only if the copy/paste command was executed and given a chance to fail.

A file save & close is not enough.

It's also possible a template saved or created with early Acad2007 can carry over this bug as well.

Give it a try.

Good luck

Yes, i have this problem also AC2010 even with servicepack 2 (english release 3)

When using the keyboard CRTL-V then i can paste all the time

• 3 months later...

La opcion que encontre para poder superar este error es:

convertir el archivo dwg en dxf, cerrarlo y abrir el dxf.

El inconveniente que encontre es que desabilita los bloques dinamicos.

Translated above:

The option I found to overcome this error is:

convert dwg to dxf file, close and open the dxf.

The drawback I found is that disables dynamic blocks.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am experiencing this in 2011. I have been beating my head all day trying to copy and paste from one drawing to another. Today I discovered I get the error every time I try to copy a multileader note. When I look at the properties on these it is listed as "ACAD_PROXY_ENTITY" instead of a multi leader note.

This occurs in all versions of the same drawing. Yes, this drawing was converted from one format to another. It started as a 2007 drawing and has now been changed to a 2011 format.

trying to copy info from one drawing into another have do this 3 time before and not the 4th time i get the message

Copy to clipboard failed

what have a done and how do i fix it???

many thanks

Adam

From the Knowledge Base, autodesk.com

Issue

When you copy any object in a drawing file and try to paste it into a new drawing, nothing happens or you receive an error stating that the command is invalid.

Solution

Depending on the error, use one of the following two workarounds for this issue:

If you get the "Invalid" message: On the command line, enter mlinestyle. Click to exit the dialog box. Try to paste again. The error will no longer occur.

If nothing is pasted: The base drawing that the Copy command is being initialized in is corrupt. Recover the base drawing. Copy the objects again; Paste should now work. For more information about drawing recovery, see the related solutions.

I found in 2012 Suite that if the Sketchbook Designer is installed the copy/clip and the clipboard (from the Labs) will not work.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring an old topic back to life but I was experiencing the problem also "copy to clipboard failed".

In my case I digged throug the whole drawing and found that there were a few polylines (rectangles) that were causing the problem. So selecting 10000 objects, was no problem but with one of these polylines it did not work.

So I simply exploded them and can move on.

I thought I post it here, maybe others can benefit.

I guess the object itself was somehow corrupted. Recover / audit / purge however did not notice any error.