Help with 3D!!

harrylucas

hi, im going to be honest, i have little expireince in 2D CAD in none whatsoever in 3D Cad.

i need to convert my clamp design into 3d, so what i did was convert to polyline then extrude. it worked but came out with no fill, they were just 3d lines. also how do i make the thread into a cylinder? i have no idea!

PLEASE HELP!!!:cry:

Bow-Clamp.dwg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• harrylucas

• kencaz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AutoCAD will extrude non closed polylines as surfaces. Use "PEDIT" and "JOIN" them. This will result in a solid...

KC

Threads can be made using the Helix command. If you check J.D. Mather's website he has a cut threads tutorial (AutoCAD 2007) that you might benefit from.

Difficult to tell what you really had in mind. Anything close to this?

[ATTACH]20928[/ATTACH]

cheers remark thats it, how do you centre the cylinder into the frame? also can you post the file as a cad.file.. :)

heres my one

e-clamp redefined.dwg

Re: cylinder location. I changed my UCS, drew a circle then extruded it along a path representing its centerline.

Re: your second drawing. 1) The cylinder is too long. It should be 170.00; yours measures 172.7428. 2) Your cylinder sits too low. It has to be moved up.

I can post a jpg file but not a drawing file. This is something easy enough to fix on your own. I'm not trying to be mean.

Make sure your UCS is oriented in the right direction and use the move command. Type the exact distance in at the command line.

Did you realize you have two cylinders (one copied over the other)?

Re: your second redefined drawing. You have a problem. The cylinder is at an angle and it does not touch the clamp at one end (the end where the wing nut is located). There is also a new, much smaller diameter cylinder adjacent to the main one. What's that all about?

One more thing. There is a gap between the wing nut and the clamp (0.5616).

Hi thanks for that.

This is it now. i was just wondering:

a) on the curved section of the frame, that will be acting as a handle , so is there a texture i can use to make it look like rubber/plastic?

b) could the rest of the frame be bright green like the JCB colours?

cheers,

8)

also i did that mathers guys tutorial on threads and every time i try to extrude is say cant extrude non-plannar objects?!?!?

i'm using acad07 btw..

Substitute the word "materials" for "textures".

Portions of your design can be made to appear in a different color if you wish. One method is to use the Color Faces solids editing tool.

Non-planar objects? Try the tutorial again and pay close attention to the instructions.

I took a look at your drawing attached to post #15 above and you still have some problems. Where to start?

The wing nut and threaded rod (a.k.a. - cylinder) are crooked. I suspect that could be a part of the problem you're having with creating threads.

I don't know how you are manipulating your UCS but you need to get it under control or you'll continue to have problems with geometry going off at odd angles. Example: it appears your helix does not follow the centerline of your threaded rod. This is evident in both a 2D wireframe and conceptual visual style.

To see what I am talking about look at a "Top" view of your drawing rather than using an isometric view.

One other item I noticed. The blue/green rectangular block at the wing nut end does not make contact with the clamp itself.

It is definitely back to the drawing board for you. Try again.

The list keeps growing. It appears you had some problems with the wing nut too. I speak in reference to the fillets around the perimeter. They are incomplete. Were you aware of that?

After you have added threads to the rod will you also be creating the reverse profile on the clamp itself where the rod passes through the wing nut end? Or hadn't you expected to show that level of detail?

Re: Your helix. Why are the top and base radii different? One is 5.0000 and the other one is 5.0587. I'm no mechanical engineer but wouldn't the radius be consistent over the length of the threaded rod?

How did you determine the number of turns? Your helix has 14.

This is what I was able to construct using your geometry.

The errors I pointed out in my previous posts have been corrected. Since you did not include a tooth profile I just made one up. Everything is now in alignment.

ReMark E-Clamp v2.jpg