Trouble Subtracting Regions from a solid?

RMS

I would think I must be doing something wrong, why can't I subtract this vertical solid rectangle from the multiple horizontal regions?

I added the file if anyone would like to try, its an acad 2010 format.

acadGaps1.jpg

subtract.dwg

First I was not sure what you were trying to keep and what you wanted to subtract... I assume you wanted to cut the fins...

You can subtract only 2 solids, regions, etc... but not a region from a solid or vise verse (AFAIK)... Regions have to be on the same plane and overlapping to subtract... You get the idea...

Anyway. The way I did it was to convert your regions to solids then you can subtract, however, that is not the best option because all your regions (now solids) will become unioned and seen as one piece...

A better option was for me to turn your subtracting solid to multiple surfaces and use slice. This allows me to keep them separate.

subtract.jpg

Hope that was not to confusing... also I don't know why you were using regions?!!

KC

Nice job KC!

I see now, only "like" objects can be subtracted from each other. So how many like objects do we have; just 2? Solids to Solids and Regions to Regions....is this one Extrude to Extrude ??

I think in NX they have sheet solids ............

Nice job KC!

I see now, only "like" objects can be subtracted from each other. So how many like objects do we have; just 2? Solids to Solids and Regions to Regions....is this one Extrude to Extrude ??

I am not sure if your being hypothetical in your questioning or actually asking me how many solids!?

I think in NX they have sheet solids ............

Yeah... I have never used NX. In AutoCAD you can't have a '0' height solid. (I think that is what your trying to say). When you thicken a surface as well it has to be greater than '0'...

Let us know how it goes...

KC

• 3 weeks later...
... also I don't know why you were using regions?!!

KC

I was doing some experimenting with automation, to show layers as a solid since that gives a nice visual, then try and extract each part. So when you mentioned (the union) part inherent to a certain process used, that rang a bell. I tried the gaping using all solids and then I have the issues of extracting or exploding to get just the bounding lines (lots of work) then subtracted using Regions so I have less lines to deal with (still testing this).