Help - Section taken from the plan view

lorenkb

We are having an issue with architectural section in our group due to the standards being written for mechanical drafting. Here is the wording.

"Rotation of Views. Sectional views should be projected perpendicular to the cutting plane line, and rotation avoided. Should the sectional view require rotation, the notation “Rotated for Clarity” must be placed on a line directly beneath the section designation."

The phrasing of the standard implies that all sections should be rotated from the direction of the cut. So a vertical cut pointing to the left would have the floor on the right hand side.

It also implies that should the section be orientated floor down the note “Rotated for Clarity” should be added.

This goes against everything I have seen in architectural drafting. I am looking for the "text book" description that defines the proper orientation of an architectural section taken from a plan view.

Unfortunately I do not have the book beside me at the moment but might this be covered in Architectural Graphics Standard?

Tiger: Sorry should have mentioned American standards

RobDraw: That did link did help some. I am able to cut a few sentences that help strengthen my position that the floor should be down.

Tiger: Sorry should have mentioned American standards

RobDraw: That did link did help some. I am able to cut a few sentences that help strengthen my position that the floor should be down.

Strengthen your position? I can't believe anyone would argue against this.:o

To re-enforce the importance of drawing the floor in the down position, please see the thread entitled "Engineering Mistakes.":shock:

The floor is always down, at the bottom, superceded, demoted.

That quoted standard is a catch-all and applies more to Mechanical Drawing, where an object could possibly be drawn in an infinite number of positions, more so than Architectural Drawing.

On floor plan views, the front is always at the bottom, the rear at the top, the left side to the left, and right, well, uh right. Elevations and sections, guess where the roof goes. Hint - The floor is down.:lol:

A rotation of an architectural sectional view would be...

If the arrows of the section line, or cutting plane line point to the rear of the house, you would be rotating it if your section was drawn so the viewer was looking toward the front of the house. The "projected perpendicular to the cutting plane line", is the viewer's direction of viewing.

Now, I have been required to "Rotate" sectional views 90 deg because at 1" = 1'- 0" a 2 story w/bsmt wall section does not fit on a 24x36 paper in the landscsape format. However, the section titles/numbers/scale, etc. was printed under the basement floor so the excavator would at least consider turning the paper around.:wink:

Thank you for that reply. LOL :lol:

I needed the laugh after the frustration of explaining all of this.

Strengthen your position? I can't believe anyone would argue against this.:o

Dana, It's worse than I make it sound. I've been fighting with my checker (mechanical background) for 2 weeks on this matter went to our groups senior (previous welder) and then to our manger and lost the fight each time. The engineers I’m working with are frustrated to say the least.

Thank you for that reply. LOL :lol:

I needed the laugh after the frustration of explaining all of this.

Dana, It's worse than I make it sound. I've been fighting with my checker (mechanical background) for 2 weeks on this matter went to our groups senior (previous welder) and then to our manger and lost the fight each time. The engineers I’m working with are frustrated to say the least.

Try placing a close quote and period after "Rotation of Views".

It's a bullet topic. It may make more sense then. The rest of it says don't do it.

Architectural drafting can be entertaining, especially in subdivision developer type building.

I have been on a jobsite and watched a carpenter hold the blueprints up to the sun to see through them. It seems he was building a "Reversed Plan" house, as opposed to the "Per Plan" house. These builders didn't waste effort and money paying me to hand draw reversed plan drawings back in the day. This is the absolute truth, I swear.