Maya > 3DSMax > AutoCAD?

StephanBotha

Hi

I have a Maya render of a football stadium that I'd like to import to AutoCAD.

The project started off as a simple design in Maya and now we've actually sold the idea to a company. Seeing as the design wasn't created with accuracy in mind, only as an idea, we really don't want to redraw the entire thing over in AutoCAD.

Is there any way to get the wireframe from Maya over into AutoCAD? If we have the wireframe, we should be able to make minor changes in CAD to get it accurate enough to hand over to the architects.

I have tried to import it into 3DSMAx and then AutoCAD, but this didn't work at all.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Hi

I have a Maya render of a football stadium that I'd like to import to AutoCAD.

The project started off as a simple design in Maya and now we've actually sold the idea to a company. Seeing as the design wasn't created with accuracy in mind, only as an idea, we really don't want to redraw the entire thing over in AutoCAD.

Is there any way to get the wireframe from Maya over into AutoCAD? If we have the wireframe, we should be able to make minor changes in CAD to get it accurate enough to hand over to the architects.

I have tried to import it into 3DSMAx and then AutoCAD, but this didn't work at all.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

What version of Maya are you using? There is a utility for Maya 2009 to export to dwg format which may help.

If you had trouble going from Maya to Max to Autocad, I don't think you will have any better luck going from Maya to Autocad. But give it a try and let us know if it works out.

Just out of curiosity, what was your procedure for going from Maya to Max to Autocad?

Did you Export an .obj from Maya and then Import that to Max and then Export to .dwg from there? What was the result? You said it didn't work at all, so I'm curious as to what happened? Max and Autocad have had the ability to exchange files for a long time, so it should work.

Hi Cad64. Yes that was exactly what I did. returned error: Unknown Format or something similar.

I haven't tried anything new yet, but will gladly post the file here if you guys want to take a swing at it.

Unknown format?

What version of .dwg did you Export and what version of Autocad did you use when trying to open the file? Maybe try Exporting to an earlier format, like 2007 or 2004.

Hey I dont have Maya here it's at home, but I seem to remember I had to export as a 3ds max, or stl. I had a model that only could be done in cad at the time due to my level of knowledge in Maya. But Maya has some plug ins for dwg/dxf now so look into those, as well as FBX.