How do I change linetype alignment?

gbuckley

I went to the Help section to find out how to change the alignment of my line and it did not help me at all. The problem was I needed my dashed line to "shift" to display over a small segment of line. So alignment is what I assume will do this for me. ___--___-- to -___--___-

So the help section describes there is a alignment field?? How do I access this alignment field? It's not in the properties. Can I use a command line for this? I'm a beginner so forgive me if this is something obvious. Thanks

That means I have to edit the .lin file? I'll look into that.

I'm not sure if I need to create a custom linetype. If that's the only way to change the alignment of the start point of your line pattern?

As your Help file has already told you...

"Currently, AutoCAD supports only A-type alignment, which guarantees that the endpoints of lines and arcs start and stop with a dash."

"You must specify A-type alignment by entering a in the alignment field."

In my first post, I was wanting to know where the Alignment field IS? I'm a complete beginner so this is frustrating not knowing which window to open or command to get me TO the alignment field.

Linetypes can be editted by opening your acad.lin file using Notepad or any ASCII text editor.

Use the command (findfile"acad.lin") at the command line to obtain the path to the file that AutoCAD actually uses.

In the example below, the capital letter A at the beginning of the line is the alignment field.

*DASHDOT,Dash dot __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __

A,.5,-.25,0,-.25

If none of the above gives you what you want then use the Express Tools command MKLTYPE. It's use is explained under the heading Categories > Tools > MKLTYPE.