• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbankston

• Dana W

• SEANT

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as what, ReMark? I mean, I can look at it too, I just can't see front or side elevations of the drawing. I did a search on the forums and when I tried the "view" command it didn't work.

Thanks for the quick reply.

ReMark,

If you can view the front & side elevations could you save it and send back to me? I'm guessing you've got the full version of CAD.

I think it is just an isometric drawing the same as used to be done on a drawing board. It is not a 3D drawing that can be looked around.

Ah. Well, that stinks. I suppose I'll try and draw it 2D using the ISO. Thanks for the help anyway, fellas!

Short answer, Nope.

it was drawn in World UCS view for some reason, rather than one of the 2D isometric views. I don't understand why it was drawn like that, nor whether it is right or wrong. It does make it difficult to draw a 3 view (front, top, 1 side) to go with it, or add dimensions.

Maybe someone else will come along and explain it to us. I'd like to know the purpose behind using this particular viewpoint myself.

Isometric is NOT 3D. It is a 2D drawing. You will notice that none of the lines are foreshortened as if it were a 3D perspective. There are no 'artistic' vanishing points. It could also be dimensioned at any line with accurate dimensions as if it were flat.

Isometric View came about way way back in the day of the quill pen, and parchment, when it was used to show a simulated 3D view on a 2D drawing surface, and at the same time keep each line to scale.

Dana W,

I disagree. Isometric is 3D by definition. You have 3 dimensions, width, depth and height. Sure it doesn't go to a vanishing point but it does have 3D.

With respect,

Brandon Bankston

Sorry if I sounded like I was explaining something you already knew.:shock:.:oops:

Where'd all them other people come from alla sudden?

You're good, Dana W. Hopefully someone will explain the process behind this. I'm currently working on the 2D now.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Dana W,

I disagree. Isometric is 3D by definition. You have 3 dimensions, width, depth and height. Sure it doesn't go to a vanishing point but it does have 3D.

With respect,

Brandon Bankston

Well, sorta anyway. You are able to illustrate the 3 dimensions, but it is still 2D.

Also with much respect.

Dana

You're good, Dana W. Hopefully someone will explain the process behind this. I'm currently working on the 2D now.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Okey, dokey.

I haven't been drawing electrically for that many years, and I need to learn much myself.

When I do an ISO, I use one of the 2D ISO views too, not the World UCS view.

Dana W,

Since I'm running AutoCAD LT over here I've had to go with 3rd party software for my ISOs and Perspective 3D renderings. Google SketchUp, it's freakin' amazing!

Dana W,

Since I'm running AutoCAD LT over here I've had to go with 3rd party software for my ISOs and Perspective 3D renderings. Google SketchUp, it's freakin' amazing!

Yeah, me too.

Almost 5 grand for software? Are you kidding. Howzza dude gonna make a living? I am not working to make somebody else rich anymore. It's just me, so I have to wait for 3D AutoCAD until my rich uncle (if I have one) passes on.:cry:

HEY, what view didja move that thing to? It looks good. I tried all of them and didn't find the right one.

There are three types of pictorial drawings. They are Perspective, Isometric and Oblique. Source: Basic Technical Drawing by Henry Cecil Spencer.

Dana W,

I created the 2D using the information provided from the Iso. I got the diameter for the holes and center line dimensions using the perpendicular lines from the drawing. That's what the red Xs are for.

Dana W,

I created the 2D using the information provided from the Iso. I got the diameter for the holes and center line dimensions using the perpendicular lines from the drawing. That's what the red Xs are for.

OK, so it is not the same drawing. I thought I was missing a view selection or something.

thx.

Alrighty. Done and done. What do you think? Sorry that I've turned a question into a "how-to".

DORMA Top Rail Sideload Insert 904.jpg