• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TimSpangler

• alanjt

• designerstuart

• fuccaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a moderator deleted it. And at least two other mods are agree with that decision.

Why? Because here we try to help each other.

Why? Because here we try to help each other.

It sure looks that way........:glare:

Back to theswamp

I personally thought it added nothing of value to this site. You may feel free to disagree with that opinion.

No personal offense meant.

I personally thought it added nothing of value to this site. You may feel free to disagree with that opinion.

No personal offense meant.

None taken.

It was a discussion that got cut short due to censorship. How can you educate the group to look for certain things in the lisps that get provided all over the net when every time a thread even mentions virus is gets ****canned?

"Education is a lifelong process." - I sure learned a lesson today......

Isn't education the best help? While I don't agree with anything the OP was saying, I would think it would be in his and everyone else's best interest if he was educated a little bit instead of being hauled away by the thought police.

i thought it was interesting. maybe posted in the wrong place, but no need to delete it. just because you know how to make a bomb, doesn't mean you are a terrorist.

ijust because you know how to make a bomb, doesn't mean you are a terrorist.

True, but if you post bomb making instructions, you can bet some terrorist will use them.

True, but if you post bomb making instructions, you can bet some terrorist will use them.
Perhaps, but if one were so inclined, one would find a way.

Experimented programmers can write even "better" destructive programs, but probably very few of them will try them in the real world.

The problem comes from the novice apprentices who read pieces of code from here and there sometimes even without fully understanding them. Well, if such a guy will wish to feel the power, probably he will place the bomb on the neighbor's computer.

Sorry TimSpangler, but my opinion remains the same: we don't need that post here at the CADTutor.

None taken.

It was a discussion that got cut short due to censorship. How can you educate the group to look for certain things in the lisps that get provided all over the net when every time a thread even mentions virus is gets ****canned?

"Education is a lifelong process." - I sure learned a lesson today......

I concur.

I expect that garbage code and humor will be next to go.

The problem comes from the novice apprentices who read pieces of code from here and there sometimes even without fully understanding them.

That's the reason to have the discussion. To show "novice" programmers what to look for so that they don't make a mistake and run malicious code that can harm their/their employers computer.

Sorry TimSpangler, but my opinion remains the same: we don't need that post here at the CADTutor.

You are entitled to your opinion. Anyone armed with a customization help file could be a potential hacker. What next, ask AutoDESK to eliminate any function that could possibly be malicious just because "someone" could create a virus from it?.......I would rather educate than censor.

For those who want to have such a conversation, there are "other" forums to have an educated, uncensored conversation. 8)

That's the reason to have the discussion. To show "novice" programmers what to look for so that they don't make a mistake and run malicious code that can harm their/their employers computer.

You are entitled to your opinion. Anyone armed with a customization help file could be a potential hacker. What next, ask AutoDESK to eliminate any function that could possibly be malicious just because "someone" could create a virus from it?.......I would rather educate the censor.

For those who want to have such a conversation, there are "other" forums to have an educated, uncensored conversation. 8)

I totally agree. That's like people on here wanting to undefine the Explode command. Why not educate the users on proper usage of Explode (not using on Dimensions, etc.), instead of just removing the command all together. Isn't that what they were doing with the NewSpeak language in 1984. If we eliminate all the words for an undesirable act, then how can it be committed?

I expect that garbage code and humor will be next to go.

Conspiracy theorists will always see such action (the deleting of threads) as the start of a new campaign of censorship. The truth is that, other than spam, very few threads on this board are ever deleted. This is an independent board and members are free to post any relevant content provided that it is not illegal or likely to cause a nuisance - broadly, content that is not in the "spirit" of the site.

I was not involved with the decision to delete the thread in question but I stand by the action of the moderators who were. Although there was nothing wrong with the content of that thread per se, it did have the potential to cause a nuisance and that's why it was removed.

This should not be taken as a sign of a tightening of the rules, it's just a value judgement and as those of us who run the board have learned over the years, not everyone agrees with us all of the time. However, I reckon we get most things right most of the time and on balance, that's the best we can hope for.

I'm sorry that some of you were annoyed by this action but it's simply a function of an approach that has made this board so successful.

As for humour? Well, I'm currently working on a LISP routine that will identify and strip out any hint of it from forum posts. :wink:

nice one cadtutor.

maybe it was going a step too far to write out the code for a potentially malicious programme? i'd like to be able to keep discussing it though.

nice one cadtutor.

maybe it was going a step too far to write out the code for a potentially malicious programme?

I didn't see the entire thread before it was axed, but I know that I posted 2 functions that are freely available in the AutoCAD customization help file. Why not remove the "bad" content, that way an educated discussion could continue?

It just shows what the moderating staff think of the individuals that post on this board; they are not adult enough to handle such information.

IMHO

I have moved this thread to Feedback in lack of better place to put it - don't want to get accused of more censoring in removing it.

I removed the Lisp Virus thread, and like CadTutor said, the potential of where the thread would go (we have all seen discussions that end up like flame wars) is what made me remove it.

You can discuss any topics you like - in PMs.

think you're being a bit over the top tim - they just don't want a reputable cad site becoming the source of malicious software!

but still - we can continue the discussion without coding out the perfect bomb...