Using The Sweep Command (HELP)

Bobzy20

Hi I wonder if anybody can help me with the Sweep command or maybe I shouldn’t be using this command at all!

The item I’m trying to draw is a drivers cab from a Toy Excavator which can be found by clicking on the link below (pages 29-32)

http://myweb.polyu.edu.hk/~mmdsham/doc/Tut01-SW09-e-Excavator.pdf

The item has been drawn in SolidWorks but I’m trying to draw it in AutoCAD.

The effect I’m trying to create can be found on page 32 but pages 29-32 will show you all the necessary dimensions.

If anybody could help that would be great.

Thanks very much

Bobzy20

Yes, sweep would work the same way in AutoCAD. You can sweep an arc to create a surface for slicing...

They modeled it solid, however, I would probably shell it and cut the windows for a more realistic look. but it's up to you...

cab1.png

cab3.png

cab4.png

KC

Hi kencaz thanks for the images, always nice to see.

I'm having a real problem actually drawing the surface to the actual dimensions of the tutorial.

Can you show me (or anybody else) how to create the surface so it’s the same as the tutorial?

Thanks very much

Bobzy20

OK, you need two arcs... The first is the swept object, (Pink arc), and the sweep path, (Blue arc).

That would be "Sketch1 profile" and "Sketch2 path" from pg32 of the Tutorial.

Now as in the tutorial my path is not a full arc but has a straight vertical element. I used Pedit to join the lines for a single path. You'll probably need to re-align your USC for this...

caba5.png

Good Luck

KC

Hi KC, I just wanted to check something with you.

When I drew the sweep path, (Blue arc) I used a R35 circle and snapped the circle to the 8mm line using one of the Quadrants.

Would that be the same as using an Arc with a R35?

Also how do you create an Arc with a R35?

Thanks again

Bobzy20

Also one other question about page 35 on the tutorial, I'm trying to draw the sketch on the side of the Cab but if I follow the tutorial measurements it looks nothing like it does in the tutorial.

I was just wondering if you could have a look for me and see what you think?

I guess if the sweep path arc has been drawn in the wrong way then this would effect this.

Anyway let me know what you think if you can.

Thanks

Bobzy20

Hi KC, I just wanted to check something with you.

When I drew the sweep path, (Blue arc) I used a R35 circle and snapped the circle to the 8mm line using one of the Quadrants.

Would that be the same as using an Arc with a R35?

Also how do you create an Arc with a R35?

Thanks again

Bobzy20

Well, yes you could use a circle with a 35 radius, the path is just longer. I prefer to trim the circle or you can draw an arc using "Start, End, Radius" as such:

radii.png

I started the arc slightly up from the bottom of the cab for that vertical element as before. The red lines I only used to get start and end points for my arc. I went a little above the cab to make sure the created surface covers the solid entirely or the subtraction wont take.

KC

I guess if the sweep path arc has been drawn in the wrong way then this would effect this.

Yes, then they would not be concentric...

You could use as offset of your sweep path, (3mm) in this case, however, that is from the already chamfered edge of the cab so it's probably more like (5) for your offset and use it as a start point for your window cut-out, then mirror that to both sides of the cab.

KC