2D plan view (up view) in a 3D model - how can control the hight? (or the elevation)

zionshea

I am using Autocad architecture 2008 and craeted a floor with high walls with several elemants on the top of the walls.

when displaying a TOP 2D view all items above a certain hight are not displayed.

how can I change the setting of that hight? In other words how can I make Autocad to show all 3D elements when viewing the TOP 2D view?

Thanks.

I am not really versed in AutCAD Architecture, however, have you been using 3dclip? Perhaps your clipping planes are still active.

Only reason I could think of that AutoCAD would not show it unless it's on a layer that is turned off...

KC

Autocad Arcitechture shows the TOP 2D view of a 3D floor up to a certain height deliberetly. this is the way it is originally designed - this is to show the content of the floor plan (for example the ceilling is also removed and the windoes openning are displayed properly) - however I know that there is a way to change the setting of the height of the TOP view.

Hope someone can help.

I am using Autocad architecture 2008 and craeted a floor with high walls with several elemants on the top of the walls.

when displaying a TOP 2D view all items above a certain hight are not displayed.

how can I change the setting of that hight? In other words how can I make Autocad to show all 3D elements when viewing the TOP 2D view?

Thanks.

change your cut plane height on either the wall, or the drawing. By default it ise set to 3'-6"

AT LAST.

I was looking for that answer for some time. Thanks Noahma.

no probs. If it is only the one wall, with windows that say are 2' tall and headered at 8' or so, I would just change the cut plane on that particular wall. If it is a reoccuring thing, it might be worth just changing the drawings cut plane.

How do you change the cut-plane for a specific element?

Right click the object, and EDIT OBJECT, if you just edit style, it will change every instance of that style, not just the one single object you need to. Next click on the display representation tab. Then click on the little check box to the right of plan view. There should be several tabs within there, one will have the cut plane option within it. Sometimes it is a check box, then a field to change the height, sometimes it is just the height field.

Thanks Noahma -

(had some problems with my PC so it took more time to read your response).

I have some more questions if I may ask:

1. When you draw a house,

1.1. Do you start with a 3D and then automatically use Autocad to extarct the 2Ds (e.g. Sections and Elevations)?

1.2. Do you use View Ports?

2. What is the right way to assign a texture to a wall? How can I add more textures (or also import some).

Wow, I will try to answer these one by one lol.

1. I do a mixture of things. I start out by setting my levels in the project navigator. Then lay out the floor plan based on what the client needs. I do a very basic set of plans to start with and refine as I get into the building IE no detail.

After I get my floor plans out, I then start on the roof design enough to get a nice block out of elevations. Then after I get the roof done, I generate my elevations and start doing detail work IE detailed columns, window trim, window grid design ect. We do all of our structural different than other companies using ACA, all of our structural are 2d, it is just easier to do it that way, since we do not show where every joist is placed, or individual trusses ect. So sections are cut somewhere within that tme.

2. we use the project navigator, so viewports are used within the sheets section of the navigator

3. Your best chance at learning the materials is to play around with it, and look for tutorials on how to create custom materials. Then read up on AEC material creation, there are two distinct processes between the two, but you need both to create an AEC material to assign to an object.

to assign materials that are already present, you would right click on the wall and edit the style. Then under the material tab, you can choose the material as it is in the drawing, if you need more look in the content browser for a set of preset materials that Autodesk has provided. You will need to know that overriding a wall style material is a big no,no unless it is a single wall. Doing it on more than 1 or so object would then dictate the creation of a new wall style, this helps by reducing time when needing to change a whole series of materials, and to keep your sanity.

I very highly recommend Paul Aubin's book called "mastering Autocad Architecture xxxx" It is a VERY good book and will bring you through several projects from preliminary to construction.