Is it possible to import csv. file data into AutoCAD?

Treehugger

I have collected point data for the positions of trees using PocketGIS software. The software produces a csv. file with the Northings and eastings of each point surveyed to which are attached a number of other attrinutes (e.g. tree tag number, height, species etc.).

Is it possible to import and plot these points directly into AutoCAD?

Can some or all of the attributes be included (i.e. it would be very usefull if the positions could be plotted together with the tag number)?

Thanks

Check out the DBConnect command. I think there are other methods to accomplish what you want to do.

I have had a perusal of the help filewith regards DBConnect Comand but I am not sure where I should start. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What form of AutoCAD are you using? Regular CAD or Civil3D?

I know that if you are using Civil3D you can select your Points pull down menu and then select Import/Export and from there you can import the .csv file.

yes this is possible

first import or open this file in eagle point from there you cad import it to autocad.

cad you give me this file.

thanks

fuccaro

The data would be similar to that shown below, where Easting =X , Northing =Y, Tag No= Tree identifier, Common name=species, Category = A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2, C3 or R. In the first instance it would be a csv. file but could easily be an Excel worksheet.

Easting

Northing

Tag_No

Common_Name

Height

Category

sycamore

A1

Hmmm. It seems you cannot include a table in this forum. Or perhaps its just beyond me! Anyway hopefully you will get my drift.

I have collected point data for the positions of trees using PocketGIS software. The software produces a csv. file with the Northings and eastings of each point surveyed to which are attached a number of other attrinutes (e.g. tree tag number, height, species etc.).

Can some or all of the attributes be included (i.e. it would be very usefull if the positions could be plotted together with the tag number)?

Thanks

Using vanilla AutoCAD, and without further programming, something like this should help: http://www.caddzone.com/ascpoint.lsp

If you have Land Desktop, Civil 3D, or add-ons like Carlson or Dotsoft Mapworks, then you already have the tools to do what you wish...

Is this possible in AutoCAd 2010LT the DBConnect command does not seem to work?

I am also trying to import eastings and northings from an Excel file.

Thanks

Have a look at Lee's Point Manager:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42954&highlight=import+block+csv

:wink:

• 2 years later...

Sao not tried with LT but should work you can paste a series of commands to autocad just like you typed them, using excel and the concatenate to join columns you can end up with a column that you cut and paste to the command line. this has been posted here so mnay times now I am losing count.

Here is a screen shot just copy the F column to the command line. be careful of the "," this is needed to put a comma in the x,y as well as a space " "

Excel points.jpg