Solid Modelling (HELP)

Bobzy20

I’m trying to make my AutoCAD object (1st image below) look like the 2nd object below but seem to be having trouble.

I’m trying to Subtract the Loft (Red area) from the Solid body but I cant get it to work.

Please see the link below to download my CAD drawing:

http://modelbuild.co.uk/PG_HOUSING.zip

It was over 250kb. :D

Thanks

Bobzy20

It appears that a portion of your model is made up of surfaces and not solids. Is that correct?

I got this error when trying to do the subtraction:

The Boolean operation on solid and/or surface bodies failed.

Modeling Operation Error:

System inconsistency processing edge coincidence.

You too?

Hi yes the Loft on Layer: "PG_LOFT_1" is a SURFACE but all the rest are 3D SOLIDS.

I guess you can’t subtract surfaces from solids or vice-versa?

so i exploded the surface

then converted the splines into 3d polylines. When I attempt to loft those two polylines into a 3d object Autocad hangs. My comp might not be powerful enough, but i'd try that so you can add and subtract

I don't see any portion of your surface that a subtraction could be done on because you already have a "hole" where the object you are trying to subtract sits. You cannot subtract PG_Loft_2 from PG_Loft_1 as far as I can tell.

You can however subtract a portion of PG_Loft_2 from PG_Housing_Top.

I tried that same trick (loft upper and lower portions of surface) but got a message saying the objects were not planar. I know for sure the top one is so I'm inclined to say it is the bottom one that caused the command to fail.

I used Splinedit and it converted the top line to a polyline (planar) and the bottom one to a LWpolyline (non-planar). It would not let me do a loft between the two.

Your best bet in this case is to forget about the surface. Draw the "hump" as a solid loft. Then extrude/subtract the opening with a draft.

There is a lisp here that will convert a surface to a solid. its called mesh2solid or m2s.

If you want to use surfaces then look into the Slice command. It should let you slice a solid with a surface.

Hi Bobzy20,

I found a trick by using the new commands of tools surface.

1- Patch to create surface on top and bottom

Surface tab/Surfaces/Patch

2- Surfextend to extend surface on top an bottom because the surface of the outline has to exceed the surface of the top and the bottom to be able to use sculpt

Surface tab/Surface editing/Extend

3- Surfsculpt to create a solid

Surface tab/Surface editing/Sculpt

4- Loft to create solid to use to substract

Home tab/Modeling/Loft

5- Substract

I cant attached file because is to big see link below

http://www.cijoint.fr/cj201007/cijFUvb8Lu.zip

:) Thank you for this "brain teaser" because grace to you I saw a real application of the new commands of tools surfaces.

By hoping to have been rather explicit

Have a good day

Pascal

PS : If link dont work send me an email.

patch-extend-sculpt.jpg