Xref-ing same drawing in twice BUT using two sets of line weights/layer properties

demolition21

Our company is currently having issues with changing the line weights and layers of an xref-ed drawing. What we need to be able to do is have a master floor plan referenced inside another drawing TWICE.

Once with the original layers and line-weights and once as a uniform light line-weight with 50% gradient. Currently I can xref the drawing in and change the xref-ed layers , but NOT independently. It seems as if there would be a way of doing this, but I have tried everything i can think of.

p.s. i have tried xre-fing the master plan into another separate file (changing the layer properties there)....THEN xref both of those drawings into another, but the original always seems to override the secondary.

Hopefully this makes sense, I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks!

Why don't you just set up two paper space layouts. You can change the layer properties within each viewport independently. So a layer that's blue in model space can be red in one viewport and green in the other viewport. Same goes for lineweights and linetypes. No need to xref twice.

http://www.thecadgeek.com/blog/blog/2008/01/03/layer-properties-per-viewport/

Thanks for the quick response... I think the only hang up on that, would be that we are trying to overlay other parts of the drawing, such as electrical tags, plumbing lines, ect. over that gray-ed out basic floor plan.

hmmmm... as I am typing Im thinking this should work , right?:lol:

btw, even if this does work out... I am still curious if there is a way to do it with my original method.:glare:

once you're done xrefed/attaching the file open the xref manager and select the x-ref file...once it's highlighted you can click on it again to rename it...then you can attach the file again...this way you now have two differently named xref using the same file & path...now you can go to the layer manager and set those xref layes independantly from each other...

once you're done xrefed/attaching the file open the xref manager and select the x-ref file...once it's highlighted you can click on it again to rename it...then you can attach the file again...this way you now have two differently named xref using the same file & path...now you can go to the layer manager and set those xref layes independantly from each other...

What he said, we do on a regular basis.

Thanks again for the help... This definitely resolved the issues, and is a lot easier than i thought.