Autocad MEP, who is really using the program?

myself

hello everybody, im making this question because in my company we are thinking about really step forward from regular Autocad to MEP, until now we have been only creating some 3d models of some specific parts of some projects to explain better how the installation should be done. However now, my boss is pretty excited with MEP and he things that we should start a project on MEP and design everything on it, even the duct size should be calculated on MEP and the Air flow should be taken from the spaces requirements available when we import from GBXML files. My question is, is it anyone really using the program this way? Is it everything working properly, which problems have you faced when you start your first project with MEP?

Thank you very much for you help,

Best regards,

Rui Silva

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• blackeagle1245

• viviancarvalho

• pvandrew

i hope that this lack of answers doesn’t mean that no one is using the program on the daily basis :D... im really looking forward to create an entire project with mep...

i hope that this lack of answers doesn’t mean that no one is using the program on the daily basis :D... im really looking forward to create an entire project with mep...

There are a few on the board that uses it regularly. Is this a cold hop into the program? If it is, I would advise against hopping into the program cold, there is a steep learning curve for most of the AutoCAD Verticals, and it takes time to learn the ins and outs of the program.

hello everybody, im making this question because in my company we are thinking about really step forward from regular Autocad to MEP, until now we have been only creating some 3d models of some specific parts of some projects to explain better how the installation should be done. However now, my boss is pretty excited with MEP and he things that we should start a project on MEP and design everything on it, even the duct size should be calculated on MEP and the Air flow should be taken from the spaces requirements available when we import from GBXML files. My question is, is it anyone really using the program this way? Is it everything working properly, which problems have you faced when you start your first project with MEP?

Thank you very much for you help,

Best regards,

Rui Silva

Okay, sorry for the delay. First off, learning this program is a gradual process. You will spend the next year if not more just figuring things out, honestly. It has its benefits but has its downfalls too. Lots and lots of downfalls. And don't believe all the hype about the extra engineering tools (auto duct sizing, spaces, gmXML import/export) because it's a lengthy process to get it all synced and working correctly, and sometimes takes longer to set it up just to use these so-called "benefits" tenfold versus just doing manual calculations. However, I will say that once you start grasping the program and start fine tuning your methods and standards then yes, the program can be very robust in MEP designing.

If you want, PM me your email and I'll shoot you some links to our FTP so you can download some old jobs with a fully complete MEP model and construction documents for you to fiddle with. Sometimes this helps so much in the capabilities of the program - just to have a completed model to tinker with. 8)

As StykFace stated jumping into MEP cold turkey is a bit like taking a shower with your clothes on. does not do everything your saleman tells you. I've found with any "upgrade" the one thing that is glossed over is that you really must set things up properly as they relate to the firm you are working for. All the bells and whistles do you no good though if you do not understand the core concepts of what it is you are designing. MEP once set up is a good program to use on the design side but for the detailing manufacturing aspects I run an add on program over the top of MEP so jointing and such.

It for sure is better than standard AutoCAD though for MEP. 3-D is what we are taking so much to right now.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I am doing this right. I am in a degree program in college and taking a course in Revit Architecture. I would like to take advantage of the offer you made the other gentelman listed below. Thanks in advance.

Pete Vandrew

pvandrew@aol.com

Okay, sorry for the delay. First off, learning this program is a gradual process. You will spend the next year if not more just figuring things out, honestly. It has its benefits but has its downfalls too. Lots and lots of downfalls. And don't believe all the hype about the extra engineering tools (auto duct sizing, spaces, gmXML import/export) because it's a lengthy process to get it all synced and working correctly, and sometimes takes longer to set it up just to use these so-called "benefits" tenfold versus just doing manual calculations. However, I will say that once you start grasping the program and start fine tuning your methods and standards then yes, the program can be very robust in MEP designing.

If you want, PM me your email and I'll shoot you some links to our FTP so you can download some old jobs with a fully complete MEP model and construction documents for you to fiddle with. Sometimes this helps so much in the capabilities of the program - just to have a completed model to tinker with. 8)

I'm not sure if you originally sent this but the statement below " Sometimes this helps so much in the capabilities of the program - just to have a completed model to tinker with." is why I sent the request.

If you want, PM me your email and I'll shoot you some links to our FTP so you can download some old jobs with a fully complete MEP model and construction documents for you to fiddle with. Sometimes this helps so much in the capabilities of the program - just to have a completed model to tinker with.

I understand, but what I'm saying is if you're studying Revit Architecture then I don't see where having a file created in AutoCAD MEP would help you. Two different programs for two different types of designing.

aye stykeface could i perhaps have a link to an old job also i really want to see a properly modelled job, i have been using for a while but its very on and off use to produce drawings of my boiler houses, also my welding catalogue has no welded shoes is this correct a basic fitting such as this is missing if? If so i cant even prodcue a basic fabrication drawing im using MEP 2010 by the way

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stykface

I am also facing the same situation & would like to study a complete MEP project worked out on Autocad MEP. If you dont mind can i get the links.

My email id viviancarvalho15@gmail.com.

Thanks & regards

Vivian.

No problems.... let me do some digging and I'll see what I can do Monday or Tuesday. I'll probably just post it on my site.

Hi StykFace

Still waiting eagerly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I learn a lot from this new program I have in my job. I've never used so any help will be of great help to this novice that I am.

Regards

PS: I hope to learn and that in Spain nobody uses this wonderful program!

• 1 month later...

Could you also send me one of your old jobs to look at :) nick.hartley@whgood.co.uk

also i need a bit of help, on pipe displays, is there any way of getting piping under 25mm shown in full, as it just shows as single line on my model and i need to it show in full

please help :)

Guys, I will do it this weekend. It's about 80MB worth of files that I need to get in order and upload to my web server. I'll make myself a reminder so I get this done. I rarely have time to sit at my computer at home anymore and my weekends are usually far too busy for me to remember to do this.

I feel like such a slacker sometimes..... :oops:

**EDIT** It is confirmed: A reminder in Outlook is set for this Saturday Morning. Hopefully I'm not staying at my girlfriend's place so I can just wake up and get'r done. I'll post a link when finished, including the Navisworks files.

Here is the link:

http://www.tannarzane.com/files/Providence_Coordination.zip

There are two main files designed in AutoCAD MEP 2010: M-FP01.DWG & M-FP02.DWG. These represent each floor of mechanical ductwork. The roof plan is XREF'ed into the M-FP02 file (named M-RP.DWG). The other two DWG files are simply the 2D architectural backgrounds. If you have Navisworks Freedom Viewer, you can view the Navisworks file that has all the 3D architectural, structural, truss webbing, piping/plumbing, and electrical files combined to get the entire building model.

Enjoy. 8)