Solidworks Exploded View to AutoCAD

tzframpton

I have a friend who designs in Solidworks, and he has an exploded view of an assembly for a custom part for his Camaro and Corvette. Is there a way to export this exploded view, say, as a DXF or DWG so he can import into CAD and create leaders, text, and put it on a Titleblock?? The company wants it in AutoCAD format so that's why he asks. So far he's just taken a screen shot of the workspace and imported the BMP into AutoCAD but it greatly decreases the quality of the file, plus is a hassle. Any tips would be greatly appreciated so I can pass onto him. I have screenshots available if needed, for a better look at what he's trying to accomplish. Thanks in advance!! 8)

You can save drawings as dxf and dwg files. So if he saves the exploded view as a configuration(if thats how he created it) he can start a new drawing file(.slddrw) then simply save that as the file he wants. You can also save drawing files as photoshops native format, pdfs and so on.

If he is dealing with sheet metal parts, i believe you can flatten it and save the face as a dxf, but im not sure on that one. I know you can with inventor and i seem to remember a certain instance in SW where it worked as well.

Just a note for him if he goes the drawing route. When you save a 3d part from a 2d drawing file as a dxf, it will have a lot of "mess". The title block as well as hole centers will go as expected, but everything behind the view will go as well. So a simple solid box wont be 4 lines, it will be 12 and this will usually need a clean up.