Forum Closed this Weekend!

CADTutor

Forum Upgrade

The CADTutor forum will be closed this weekend to allow for a major upgrade of the forum software.

Unless there are any unforseen problems, the forums will close at approximately 9am BST on Saturday 17th July and reopen at some point on Sunday 18th July (dependent on how quickly the upgrade is completed). In any case, the forums will be open for business on Monday morning.

The rest of the CADTutor site will be available as normal throughout the weekend.

The new software brings a number of benefits for forum members and I will give more information on these in future posts.

Is it still going to be vBulletin, and just upgrading?? Or are you moving to an entirely new framework of forum software? Just curious is all. :oops:

Is it still going to be vBulletin, and just upgrading?? Or are you moving to an entirely new framework of forum software? Just curious is all. :oops:

We'll be upgrading to the latest version of vBulletin (4.0.5) and from that point on the forum will be upgraded regularly with the latest versions. However, this does not necessarily mean we'll be sticking with vBulletin over the medium to long term. I'm committed to providing the best forum solution for the CADTutor community and so I'm always keeping an eye on what else is available :).

However, this does not necessarily mean we'll be sticking with vBulletin over the medium to long term. I'm committed to providing the best forum solution for the CADTutor community and so I'm always keeping an eye on what else is available :).

I'm certain you appreciate feedback. In that vein I personally think the vBulletin format is very comfortable to me, it is very quick and easy to use. There is only one suggestion that has come to mind over the period of time I've used it: I would like to be able to view images without having to log in.

We are using vbulletin 4.03 over at Autocadeverything; there were a few changes in where buttons etc were positioned that took getting used to, but for the moderators the updated spam filtering options have made life a lot easier.

I very rarely have to trash a post these days, they dont get through the filters.

There is only one suggestion that has come to mind over the period of time I've used it: I would like to be able to view images without having to log in.

That could be done but the way it works at the moment serves 2 purposes: It encourages people to register with the forum and contribute and it also keeps bandwidth down. You'll find that most foruns take a similar approach.

We are using vbulletin 4.03 over at Autocadeverything; there were a few changes in where buttons etc were positioned that took getting used to, but for the moderators the updated spam filtering options have made life a lot easier.

I very rarely have to trash a post these days, they dont get through the filters.

Quite so, dealing with spammers is much easier and should help to keep the forums even cleaner than they are at the moment.

One question I have and I am sure other member have too. Regarding saved bookmarks. will saved bookmarks still work or will we have to relink saved threads?

One question I have and I am sure other member have too. Regarding saved bookmarks. will saved bookmarks still work or will we have to relink saved threads?

Links to specific threads or posts will not change. :)

...I personally think the vBulletin format is very comfortable to me, it is very quick and easy to use.

Same here. vBulletin is the way to go. It's pretty much the standard these days.

As long as we don't go the route of some other AutoCAD related forums that recently changed formats.... :wink:

As long as we don't go the route of some other AutoCAD related forums that recently changed formats.... :wink:

Who is this "forum" you speak of? I'm curious now.... 8)